Questions: Ceramic tiling over linoleum

I am in the process of putting ceramic tile on my kitchen floors. I have removed the square vinyl tile that we had and found linoleum. The linoleum is welll fixed to the underlayment and in good condition. Therefore, I decided (after reading info on the Net) that I can place my ceramic tile on top. Here are my two questions:

  1. I have cleaned the linoleum very well. However, there remains a "tackiness" on the linoleum. I imagine that it is a thin residue of the glue used on the square vinyl. The vinyl tiles are of the "peel off, and stick on the floor" kind. Do I have to get all of the tackiness off before I go any further

  1. I have read some opinion on the Net that the best mortar to use to afix ceramic tile over linoleum is "latex modified thinset mortar". I bought some mortar at Home Depot called Versabond Fortified Thinset Mortar. The packaging calls this stuff "polymer fortified". I am not sure what this means. Will this stuff work for my application?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Al

Reply to
Al Kondo

Just pull up the linoleum and put down a real subfloor. Tile is a lot stiffer than you'd think. If you don't lay it down on a VERY stable surface it'll just crack. Either on the grout lines or within a tile. Why bother to go through the effort of laying decent tile only to have it get ruined?

Reply to
Bill Kearney

I just did this in my kitchen last week and so far all is good. I had a solid sub floor (1X6s below 3/4 plywood) that had 1950s vintage linoleum which I was afraid could be asbestos, so I decided to encapsulate it. The vinyl was in good shape with great adhesion. I did fix all squeaks with 2 1/2" drywall screws before beginning.

I used Mapei Ultraflex II thinset (polymer modified as you mentioned) under hardibacker board which was fastened with many screws. I filled the joints between the hardibacker board with thinset and fiberglass drywall tape when I put down the tile. Make sure your thinset says it is acceptable for vinyl. Also check out the hardibacker.com website for additional instructions.

Reply to
tev9999