Questions about pressure treated 6 X 6 steps ??

About 5 years ago, I installed a set of outdoor steps leading up to a gazebo. These steps are made out of 6 X 6 pressure treated timbers.

The steps are planted into the ground, and staked with rebar. They are holding up well. They have never had a sealer, stain, or paint on them.

Within the last year, the steps got a slime green color (not the original PT color), which I assume is some type of algae growth. This made them very slippery when wet, so they are a danger to walk on when it rains.

I cleaned them with a 50-50 water/clorox solution, which removed the green algae. But, I now see quite a bit of black areas, which I assume is mildew.

Two Questions:

  1. do you think that undiluted clorox would remove the black areas of these steps ?

  1. once I get the black mildew areas clean, what should I paint the steps with ? I assume a sealer will not do well on PT lumber, and I don't think a stain will penetrate PT lumber very well.

------------------------

Am I on the right track ?

Comments and advice please !!

Thanks !

James

Reply to
James

If it's mildew the bleach will remove it. I had pretty good luck applying 1" strips of that adhesive backed, black, antislip tape. You need to make sure you get the steps completely dry which may mean waiting for dryer weather. Another option would be to set your circular saw to a depth of about 1/8" and then make a series of cuts across the top.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Yes James that seems a good track.

I like this one too and did it for a neighbor. We ended up nailing them down as they tended to shift about over time. I used galvanized wide headed short nails. In the neighbors case, it's a wood amp that I and some friends built her for wheelchair access out to her back yard but 'slick is slick' so it would be the same thing.

Reply to
cshenk

The questions relate to cleaning with clorox, and then painting.

James

Reply to
James

Yes, you can clean and seal or paint or stain. Sealer and stains will last 1 to 3 years depending on the specifics. Paint has adhesion problems on pt lumber. Neither will really solve your problem with mildew or algae. It will return if the area is periodically wet or perhaps shady even if the wood is stained or sealed. I've found nothing really solves the problem long term. That's why I suggested you go the anti slip route.

That answer your question?

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Jamesgang, that is a very good reply, with good info.

I am going to clean the mildew first, and then see if it is worth the bother to paint.

Thanks again !!

James

Reply to
James

Try a pressure washer?

Reply to
Cwatters

I had the same problem with pressure treated lumber on my patio. Washing it about once a year with a pressure washer solved the problem.

EJ in NJ

Reply to
Ernie Willson