Questions About Dowsing For Water

Page 4 of 6

Same here. I find things, I don't find things, there are clues but at the end teh rods move and one cannot detect themselves influencing them.
Harry K
the Totalitarianism State> wrote:

Your post extolling repeated dowsing successes made it pretty obvious.

This may come as a surprise to you, but there's underground water nearly everywhere on earth.

Next thing, you'll be telling us the world is not flat!
Steve ;-)
On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 15:13:18 -0700, "Ulysses"

I have tried it. Maybe you saw my other post. Sure "it works" if you mean the rods will seemingly move of their own power. The problem is, they don't actually find water at any level above chance. It's just like a Ouija board... or do you believe in them too?

several
does
knows
their
shape
wasn't
Somehow I missed where you said you'd tried it. I did try a Ouija board once. It left very little impression on me. I saw an angel once. That left very little impression on me too. I did not suddenly become religious and become certain that there is a heaven and hell and Jesus is gonna save me from my sins. It just makes me wonder what they are. I didn't believe in them any more than I did leprichauns, elves, or unicorns.

The really hilarious thing about this dowsing nonsense is that if people really believed that it worked, they'd mount their rods under sealed glass with precision bearings.... not HOLD THEM IN THEIR HANDS.
That's like having cork on sandpaper for a a bearing! Of course if they actually made such an instrument, it become blindingly obvious how useless it'd be in about one minute.
Actually, the two bent baling wire rods work better when held in two Tabasco bottles.
Steve

That would slightly increase the sensitivity to wind and how lousy human hands are at holding something plumb or level.
Why not put the rods on precision bearings, under glass, and roll the device at a constant speed on level rails over areas of question?
Otherwise, you're measuring human frailty, wind direction, incline, or acceleration. I don't know what people think they'd be measuring... it can't be magnetic fields, or they'd use a compass.

The problem with that is they indicate in just one location. I can stand in one spot, sway back and forth and they cross/uncross. Take one step and they don't. Am I infulencing them? Not that I can tell and I have tried to tell if I am.
Of course you _could_ take a couple coat hangars and try it yourself but I dont' expect that to happen. You knows what you knows...
Harry K
bearings, under glass, and roll the device at a constant speed on level rails over areas of question?
Otherwise, you're measuring human frailty, wind direction, incline, or acceleration. I don't know what people think they'd be measuring... it can't be magnetic fields, or they'd use a compass.
reply:
http://simmonsscientificproducts.com/products.html
Something like this?

How can that be? It has been stated here by people who are never wrong that it doesn't work. I'm confused.
Steve ;-)

Don't think I ever said it doesn't work... but I will say that there is no evidence that it does. Anyone who thinks otherwise has only to demonstrate it, under controlled conditions, to become an instant millionaire.
It's been at least twenty years... and James Randi still has his million dollars.
Doug Miller wrote:

ya, and over on the right of the google page and the facebook page are offers for free cameras and laptops. There's always an out for the offer'er. I'm sure you could prove over and over to this James Randi person, and he'd have an out for not paying. It's just a bullshit offer. Plain and simple. The method has been used for centuries, and it does work.

You one of the ones that can't do it, huh?
Steve

No, he is one of those "I knows what I knows and am not about to try it" types.
Harry K

Yeah, I'm in the 100% of the population.

spot the

apart again

When my well witcher was here I tried the magic wands and got definate, strong movements of the wands in some areas and not others. I believe that I was not subsonsciously influenced by any outside factors. The terrain and bushes etc. all looked pretty much the same to me and, having no experience digging wells, would not recognize any of the above-ground signs anyway. I found that the results were very consistant. I even went back to my well, after the witcher was gone, to test my own wands because I didn't remember if they were supposed to swing apart or cross and was able to establish that by using my well as reference. Like I said elsewhere, my witcher said it finds fissures, not water. Maybe he's a little more advanced than some other witchers. I should mention that it got strong readings where I don't think a geologist would think there is a fissure underground. That could, of course, mean that either there is a fissure where one might expect it to be or it was a false reading.
When the well driller first suggested that I hire a witcher I was quite skeptical. But since I wanted a good well I was not about to argue with the most respected and successful driller in the county. After talking to the witcher and trying it myself I could see that there was something to it. Nobody told me that it is 100% reliable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clever_hans
http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/ideomotor.html

that
and
experience
Next you'll be telling me that my dog doesn't understand geometry and physics.

I don't really see much difference between believing in ideomotor action and believing in dowsing or witching.

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 08:45:39 -0700, "Ulysses"

Well then, I think we have identified the problem.
the Totalitarianism State> wrote:

<snort>
Obviously if you were aware of any influence, it wouldn't be SUBconscious.