Questions About Dowsing For Water

Page 1 of 6
I need to drill a new well and would like to use a dowser.
(I am a believer in dowsing, and I can do a little of it myself.)
Two questions:
1. We have aquifers at the 75 foot level, and my dowser 25 years ago found one easily, but we have a nitrate problem, and we need to go for the larger flows which are between 100 and 250 feet.
Can dowsers "see through" the shallow aquifers and find the deeper, larger resources?
2. Does anyone have suggestions for how I can find a dowser in the Kingston/Poulsbo/Silverdale area of Kitsap County, State of Washington?
Thanks for your help in advance.
Dwight Gibb

Every time dowsers have been actually tested under controlled conditions they have failed completely.
I have heard of a million dollar prize for someone who can prove they can do this sort of thing. It is still unclaimed.

My theory water is almopst everywhere, provided you dig deep enough.
So dowsers work because its hard to fail:)
This theory was a buddies who drilled some water wells with a deeprock type machine

Call in the tooth fairy while you're at it ;)

Where I live we are still kinda backwards and ignorant (Southern California) and everyone I know that got a good well drilled used a well witcher. Most of them used the same guy. The one person I know who paid a lot of money for a "scientific" water locater got a pathetic well (1 1/2 gpm). When the witcher was here I tried using the magic wands (two bronze welding rods bent at 90 degrees, one in each hand) and when you cross over a good spot the wands will spread apart, then cross over each other, then spread apart again (maybe it was vice versa--been a while) so it IS doing something. My attititude towards the whole thing is just because scientists can't explain it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. OTOH maybe you could simply drill anywhere around here and hit good water. My suggestion is to talk to your neighbors about their wells and find out who drilled it and go with the driller who has drilled the best wells. Around here everyone agrees on who is the best well driller. The guy down the road didn't use him and went with someone who charged less and it took about 5-6 weeks and he got a lousy well. I don't know if he hired a witcher. My well took 1 1/2 days to drill. The guy next door decided to pay more and go deeper after finding good water (hoping for more water I guess) and ended up with about the same flow rate and quality that he could have gotten for less. In your case it sounds like deeper would be better. I don't know if the witchers can find two aquifers on top of each other but my guess is that simply by going deeper you would hit the lower one. Ask your local driller and he can probably give you a good idea but of course they can't guarantee anything. He should also be able to recommend a good witcher/dowser. I don't know of anyone who used a witcher and DIDN'T get a good well.
Ulysses wrote:

One problem is that some well drillers generally dont like dowsers - feel that they get in the way.
I will keep looking.
Best,
Dwight

Now why would someone who is paid by the foot object to someone finding something nearer the surface? ;)
I have no experience with dowsing and thus no opinion, but I was born under a skeptical star.
Perhaps you could run an add in the local paper asking for the help of a Dowser or Water Witch. The differences between the two are that the Dowser can only find water, while the Water Witch can find water and cast a few spells on it to ensure the water is both pure and ever flowing.
Also, IMHE, older well diggers in rural areas all seem to be able to dowse. Whether it is a gimmick, they can really do it or just think they can, I don't know. But I can tell you that their butts are not really that cold. Be careful about mentioning Water Witches to the Dowsers in the rural settings. There is a big riveralry between the two - I think it started from the WW's effort to unionize.
Surry it that was too cheeky. I intended no malice. Bonnie Peeb
On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 09:30:15 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour

I regularly find water lines and electric lines with two pieces of baling wire. You can either do it or not. If you can do it, you do it. If you can't, you whine that it's fake and others cannot do it.
HTH
Steve

Years ago when I was in the AIr Force a couple of felllow airmen and I tried to locate a 25 pair telephone cable that ws buried under an asphalt parking lot. We never could find the cable because with every other step I took the copper wires would cross and we would mark the spots they crossed on the asphalt. This led to some frustration so we got a CE guy to bring out a cable locator to find the cable. No problem but we did have to wait about 3 hours for him to come over. A few weeks later the adventure into dowsing was all but forgotten when the grass was cut around the parking lot revealing drainage tiles that coincide with the marks we made on the pavement.
Jimmie

Then why don't you go get the Million Dollar prize from the Amazing Randi's foundation? it's funny how there are SO many water witcher's with all these success stories yet not a one of them can find water when they have to do it under controlled conditions and when they could make a million dollars for a few hours work.

You haven't been paying attention, have you? I never claimed that I could dowse water. I merely said that I have successfully used them to find buried wires, pipes, and lines.
Sheesh. Listen up, will ya?
Steve

I located my water main with better accuracy than the local locator service did. I have seen Randi's web page and he assumes that dowsing does certain things that even dowsers do not make claim to. Basically he has built a strwman to shoot at.
Jimmie

I located my water main with better accuracy than the local locator service did. I have seen Randi's web page and he assumes that dowsing does certain things that even dowsers do not make claim to. Basically he has built a strwman to shoot at.
Jimmie
Again, Jimmie, there seems to be two discussions here. One about locating water aquifers and water underground. And one about locating water lines, cables, and pipes that have been buried by humans.
I (ME) am talking about the latter, and make no statements or claims to be able to find aquifers.
Steve

If you think you can "douse" for ANYTHING and are willing to be tested under controlled conditions you can win the prize. Randi doesn't care if you claim you can find water, or fissures, or buried Easter bunnies with your "witching" equipment. You're like all the others, scared to death to have your claims tested under controlled conditions where actual success or failure can be evaluated statistically.

Then go do it. Win a million dollars.

If you think you can do it under controlled conditions, then do it, and become an instant millionaire.

The JREF's million-dollar prize is for *any* demonstration of *any* paranormal ability under controlled conditions. Finding "buried wires, pipes, and lines" by dowsing would certainly qualify.
So go demonstrate your ability, and claim the million dollars.