Questions about carpet cleaning...

After the answers JohnB got below, I am almost afraid to ask!

Our berber carpet is 5 years old and is getting a bit dirty in high traffic areas. My wife says we have to get it cleaned or it will damage the carpet. Is that true? I would think cleaning is harder on it than being dirty; but don't really know.

Do commercial cleaners use various methods? Any better than others?

Reply to
Toller

on 10/30/2007 6:34 PM Toller said the following:

Buy your own carpet cleaner (Bissell). It's as good as the professional cleaners. We once had a professional cleaner take our oriental carpet to the shop for a cleaning, We told them that we wanted it back on a certain date because we were having a party. The date was a week later. The date came and no carpet. We called them and they delivered it that day. It was still wet. We bought a Bissell the next day.

Reply to
willshak

Home cleaner is great.

The number one thing that wears out a carpet is the dirt in the carpet. The dirt gets into the fibers and then you walk on it. It's like sandpapering the carpet.

Reply to
Dan Espen

I always wondered whether traditional steam cleaning (very hot water) method or the chem-dry (carbonated water) is better. Any insights?

Reply to
Abe