Questions about buying a standby electrical generator

Page 3 of 5
In my case, living in NYS, in a trailer. We have the power out for a couple days long, during ice storms. Did that in 1991, 2003, and another part of the state got wiped out, 2006. After the first day, the cold is really miserable, and a generator is nice to have.
You can get a chinky junky at Harbor Freight for under $100, but don't expect 200 hours of run time. Still, that hundred bucks can buy you some furnace run time.
That is why I don't have a generator. One time we were out for two days (hurricane Gloria). Another time we were out for 8 hours. Never had any outages more than 30 minutes at any other time in my life.
I can't justify having $1000 sitting out in the garage not used.
Back to your math. Would you have it running 24 hours a day? I bet that 8.33 days can easily be 16.66 or more.
On 09/29/2012 11:40 AM, Smitty Two wrote:

I suspect the 200 hour figure only applies to the cheap junk from Harbor Fright. I've got 730 hours on a 8000 watt Generac.
Very possible. I've heard that Hondas run a long time.
********** WARNING! DO NOT REPLY ABOVE THIS LINE ;-) ************* On 09/30/2012 08:06 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

> Very possible. I've heard that Hondas run a long time. > > Christopher A. Young [religious propaganda removed]
Honda generators are excellent as well but our local Generac dealer has a very impressive parts, service and loaner department. They do all the commercial stuff like hospitals and large retail stores.
Have you had good results with Generac?
Honda generators are excellent as well but our local Generac dealer has a very impressive parts, service and loaner department. They do all the commercial stuff like hospitals and large retail stores. ********** WARNING! DO NOT REPLY BELOW THIS LINE ;-) *************

Consumers reports top picks
Troy built Generac Troy built Honda Yahama Champion All power Gentron
. Briggs & Stratton
Fixed Kohler Generac
All the ratings were or particular models.
Greg
On 9/29/2012 9:15 PM, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.not wrote:

Back in the 90's I installed a lot of Generac 8kw units in homes and the gensets had the Briggs & Stratton Vanguard V-twin which is a pretty good engine. The last Generac I installed had the Generac produced V-twin which is a better engine. Which one do you have? ^_^
TDD

Yah, should have included that. It is a Generac XP8000E that I bought in 2009. It has the Generac OHVI engine.
I've put about 200 hours on it during power outages and the rest was put on by a contractor I rented it to.

I figure on 80 hours in 10 years, on my lawn tractor.
I got a $350(reduced to $300) aldi generator. Looks just like the yamaha or hondas. Probably made by the same company. I need to play around with it. It's a 6kw peak, 5500 continuous. Just looked over consumer reports. Not much of a review. So mine looks like the $2600 yahama. If mine only works 200 hours, probably a good buy.
Greg
It's also a good idea to do a practice run. So that you know for sure you have the right wiring, fittings, etc, to make things work. Also a good idea to include other house members in the practice run in case you are sick with the flu, and your spouse, teenagers, or adult children need to run the generator.
I figure on 80 hours in 10 years, on my lawn tractor.
I got a $350(reduced to $300) aldi generator. Looks just like the yamaha or hondas. Probably made by the same company. I need to play around with it. It's a 6kw peak, 5500 continuous. Just looked over consumer reports. Not much of a review. So mine looks like the $2600 yahama. If mine only works 200 hours, probably a good buy.
Greg
I bought a generator in 1998. Used it for a couple hours, during the power cut of 2003, and then for the Buffalo NY power cut in 2006. Havn't used it for much anything after that. I know, I ought to run it every month, but it's a real pain to drag it out.
No reason to leave a generator running all day and all night. In my case, an hour of furnace run time in the evening, and some in the morning. In the case of 2006, about two hours of furnace run time, and some sump pump run time, at the same time as the furnace.

I realize this is an older thread, but I'm just getting to it. Let's see, 200/24 = 8.33. So you're claiming that a typical homeowner won't be needing a generator for a total of just over a week? I'd say anyone who expects that level of reliability from their power company doesn't need a generator at all.
On 8/17/2012 6:27 PM, George wrote:

Approaching this decade myself, I can understand why he might want an automatic unit with some size to it. I was concerned this summer that any long outage would have meant no AC but we were lucky as brief outages, no more than a couple of hours, I did not even crank up my generator. Bad outages are few and far between and I would want something with a long term warranty.

But that isn't what that section of the contract actually says. If that is what they meant, then they should have said there are no warranties beyond that provided by manufacturer. I'd cross them off my list immediately, as they are obviously too stupid to write a contract. Plus it;s not unreasonable to expect some warranty on their work too.

I have a neighbor that had a Generac that came from a dealer. About 6 years old, it went out during the hurricane a year ago. Dealer inspected it and found it to be a total loss because the generator is shot. Neighbore bought a whole new one. Another neighbor got the old, "shot" one. He's investigating if it really is shot. So far, all the windings appear to have reasonable readings, and they look fine. N o burned smell, etc. There is a burned smell though coming from a component in the control circuitry. My bet is that's what's really shot and it can be fixed.
On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 09:46:42 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

They did day that. Besides, they did not write it, some lawyer did. Certainly not a deal breaker for me if everything else is in line.
If there is a warranty on their work, it is written in the contract. That differs from express or implied warranties.
On 8/18/2012 3:10 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Me either. That is standard verbage in a contract written by a lawyer that means what I noted and wouldn't influence me.

Yes

That should be a compelling argument to make in court when the installation is defective and as a result the generator doesn't work, or worse, burns up the generator and the contractor says, per the contract, they are not responsible.

They explicity say there is NO WARRANTY, express or implied. Not that "There is no warranty beyond the warranty as defined in section x, etc" Here it is again:
The

What is an express warranty, if not the warranty that would be spelled out in the contract?
And you'd accept a waiver on merchantability and fitness? That means the generator doesn't even have to function as a reasonable generator should. It's like saying I'll buy a brand new car and waive that it has to be usable as a typical car would be.
On 8/18/2012 12:46 PM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

So what does it mean? It certainly is standard verbage used in contracts.

There is no such thing as "standard vebage" in contracts. I recently went out for 5 quotes on a new furnace, for example, and not one of them had that or anything close to it in it.
As to what it means:
"Buyer acknowledges that no express or implied

I'd say it means shyster. The contractor is saying that he does not even have to deliver a product or workmanship that is fit for the intended use. You'd have to be a complete dummy to agree to that. It's questionable if it would even stand up in court. Absent that clause, if a guy supplies me with a generator, it has to at least be functionable, work, etc. With the loophole above, the contractor is saying that even if the generator installation is totally unfit for the intended use, he's not responsible and screw you.
On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 11:33:48 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Check out the Uniform Commercial Code.

If the guy supplies you with a generator it has to work, but it may not have to function properly. That is the purpose of the clause. If, say you want to buy a 12 KW generator and expect to power a 20 story office building, it won't work properly. The installer may tell you that, but you insist anyway. You cannot hold the installer liable for fitness. It does not mean shyster at all, it means if you are stupid, you can't sue the seller for your own stupidity.
It also means that the written contract is what counts. Thus, if the installer implies anything, don't trust him. If the contractor implies that the factory warranty is 12 months but he will give you 24 moths, you can't go after him in month 18 because it was your own gullibility that allowed him to get away with it. If it is not written, it is not there and not valid. Period. No matter what the salesman may have told you.

Maybe you better check it out. The UCC says a product has an implied warranty of merchantibility and fitness. Which makes sense, because for interstate commerce we didn't want people selling a hammer that can't be used as a hammer. Or a car that doesn't work and can't be used as a car. UCC says that all products have an implied warranty of merchantibility, UNLESS THE CONTRACT SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDES IT. And that is exactly what this shyster contract does, it excludes it. So, the generator does not have to work like a generator should and the seller is off the hook. The buyer is screwed, unless the seller decides they want to do something about it.

Let's assume for the moment that is what the clause means. You'd sign that? It doesn't have to function properly?

BS. That is *not* what a warranty of merchantibility and fitness means. If it did, the warranty of merchantibility and fitness would not be included in the Uniform Commercial Code. A code that has been adopted by all 50 states. It provides that all goods and services have an implied warranty of fitness and merchantibility, unless SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDED. And exclude it is exactly what this contract does.

It sure does and it specifically says that you have no warranty period. So, go ahead, sign it if you like, but if the thing doesn't work or blows up a weak later, don't expect any warranty coverage.

Again, that is *not* what is says. To say that the contract would say:
"There is no warranty, express or implied, other than the manufacturer;s one year warranty and XYZ electrics 3 month warranty on installation."
or
"No warranty other than as outlined in section X.Y of this contract, either express or implied, is given.
What it actually says, again, is no warranty of merchantibility or fitness period.