questions

I live in a trailer and have been having some trouble keeping the plac

cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Therefore our electric bil is sky rocketing. I have been told that i could paint my roof with sealer of some sort. Is this true? Also if it is true what is thi stuff and where can I get it? Cheap? Also I have noticed holes in th underpinning underneath the trailer, where the insulation is at. think that this could also be a cause. If so any advice on how to fi the underpinning and insulation

-- bug

----------------------------------------------------------------------- bugz's Profile:

this thread:
post was submitted via http://www.HomeRepairForums.or

Reply to
bugz

If it is as extreme as you say, a few holes in the insulation are probably not the cause (but a can of foam insulation will fix it). Trailers are designed for temporary living (though I know lots of people do live in them full time, including my best friend). With that said, they are often under-insulated from the start. You could try to add more insulation to some areas but that will add weight and may come off when you move the trailer (I don't know how often you relocate). You need it to be removable or light and well attached.

Painting the roof white would help in the summer to reflect more heat while painting it black will help in the winter by absorbing more heat. Not a good solution for both at the same time.

It may look goofy but you could make some sort of giant blanket for the trailer. An insulating fabric sewn in with some tarps (for weather resistance) and placed over the roof will help as will closing off the space under the trailer with a skirt (this will trap air which will warm or cool more slowly than open space). Along the same line would be those shiny mylar emergency blankets you get at sporting goods stores (wal mart too). These can be used on the roof, over windows and inside walls. They reflect heat away from their surface like a mirror (in or out depending on the weather).

This post was submitted via

AutoTracer

I don't know how much it will help your cooling bills ( it claims to because it's reflective) but if you apply anything to your MH roof make sure you buy Cool Seal brand (that might be with a K). This is one case where the off brand stuff does NOT work. I fought this battle for years with an aging relatives leaky roof and the brand name is worth the 2-3 times the price. Look for a MH repair center to buy. Maybe also at RV dealers.

One 5 gallon bucket will do a 12 x 60 if you don't double coat the seams (like you would do if leaks were your problem). Do it on a nice warm day after the goop has been warming a while for maximum coverage and ease.

Also while on a MH roof be sure to keep your feet on the metal rafters and not just on the tin roof or you will create more problems than you solve.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

This post was submitted via
Arctic White sold at the box stores will provide some help. It is sold as a mobile home coating. I used some on a swamp cooler and to repair some leaks on my old house. It did help the cooling of the cooler a bit. Saying that it will probably not help much for the winter.

As for cheap sorry, not gonna happen. Last time I looked it was ~$25 a gallon. Reduce the coverage on the can by 50% for the first coat and you WILL absolutely need 2 coats. Easy to put on with a roller as long as the roof is reasonably clean.

Underpinning??? that word means structure to me. Last trailer I was under, I just removed the craft paper with a razor knife and did my work and then replaced the insulation and then stapled up some new Kraft paper to repair the hole I made. 15 pound felt would work if you do not have a real lumber yard near. I used a stapler cause the under side of this trailer had wood.

The skirting was metal and was supposed to stop the air from passing under the trailer. In Iowa we used straw bales in the winter time.

Check all of the windows and doors for proper sealing. Replacing the seals around a door is pretty easy and does not cost much.

Reply to
SQLit

Double wide or singlewide?

Has it been this way since you moved in or has it gotten worse?

This post was submitted via

HeatMan

you may be referring to radiant barrier paint, there's tons of info on it and a paint store should be able to help

heard about stupendous results on a mobile home being gutted, insulated with spray on foam, then the innards added back to the mobile home, basically

you probably lose a lot of your heat and air conditioning out your windows if they are single pane; consider insualting drapes if you can't afford double pane windows

seal all your wall switches and plugs with foam gaskets

check the seal around all your doors and windows for leaks

if your hvac ducts are under the mobile home, make sure they are all insulated properly

Reply to
effi