Questioning faucet install charges

Page 1 of 3
Here's Mom's new kitchen faucet:
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg89/melrose_fun/faucet1.jpg
It's an American Standard. Existing sink, no change in configuration or anything. She needs a new backsplash but I digress. I bought the faucet online and Mom called a plumbing company to install it.
Here's underneath:
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg89/melrose_fun/faucet2.jpg
Previously it was copper all the way up. No flexes and perviously there were no shutoffs. So the new installation included those shutoffs and the chrome plated lines you see. Quality of the installation workmanship seems fine.
Is $482.00 a fair price for this install (including the shutoffs and short bits of tubing)?
Parts and labor are not broken out but the invoice says $336.00 for the faucet installation and $146.00 for the shutoff valve installation. Was this fair or did a senior get taken taken to the proverbial cleaners? I am aware that skilled labor and a truck and shop filled with parts don't come cheap but it seems outrageous to me but then maybe I am just out of touch.
This is suburban Chicago if it matters.

You got took, you didnt get a bid I bet, you just had it installed. My elderly neighbor once had sears out to put in and supply a similar 150$-200$ setup and was charged 900, I got sears to lower it to 400. If it were me id stop pay if it was a check or dispute it and complain to the plumber. I find this common in plumbing.
ransley wrote:

I did not realize USD value is so low now, LOL! What's breakdown on the bill. How much for material, how much for time? Typically seniors get some discount.

I'm in Rochester NY, where I got quotes for ripping about about 10 feet of iron drain pipes in the basement and replacing them with PVC. The numbers ranged from almost $1000 down to $250. The cheapest guy came with great recommendations from some very picky friends. When he finished the job (one hour), I told him about the highest quote. He said it was absurd, but "they're out there - you have to be careful".
The most expensive quote came from a guy who did pretty much the exact same job in my previous home, for about $400. He explained the price difference as "travel charges", because he was already at my house for something else when I had him to the extra work. He lives 5 minutes from my current place. That explains the $600 travel charges. And, I'm the next king of Denmark.
Anyway, sounds like your mom should've shopped around and asked some acquaintances for recommendations.
I'd a done it for half that. I assume you supplied the fawcett? He couldn't have been there an hour.

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 15:02:26 -0000, Steve Kraus

It would have been a fun do-it-yourself project for you and your mom.

For that price the least he could have done is soldered some MIP X COPPER adapters.

We supplied the faucet. The charges were just for labor and the shutoffs and bits of tubing.

I wasn't present but I don't see why that would be. There is a main shutoff for the house.

Dunno but I doubt it.

re: $146 for the shutoff install - Are they platinum?
As far as I can tell from the pictures, he cut the copper pipes and installed the shutoffs and then the risers (the fill tubes)Since the copper pipe is bigger than the riser he would have had to install adaptors anyway - exact same labor as installing the shutoffs. So in reality, the only extra Mom should have paid for is the cost of the shutoffs themselves.
Unless they are made of platinum, or are perhaps remote controlled, I can't imagine 2 shutoffs costing $146. You can buy shutoffs *and* risers as a set for under $20 and there should have been no additional labor cost for the install.
re: $336 for the faucet install - - $482 total
As noted above, the risers and shutoffs are really cheap. - we're talking maybe $60 for all parts. OK, let's call it $82 to make the math easy. That means he charged at least $400 for labor.
How long was he there? Was he in and out in an hour or did he have to remove Mom's knick-knacks from the back of the sink and the dishwasher soap, sponges and plastic grocery bags from underneath? Time is money, so if he had to waste time doing things other than plumbing, he wouldn't have done it for free.
All that said, if it was as simple a job as it appears it should have been, Mom was taken advantage of and it's time to make some phone calls.
LETS SEE. That's 40 hours a week, 50 weeks (if you take 2 weeks off) so that equals 2000. Standard working year.
Where do you get 2000 working hours (at best) in a year?

That's what I thought you meant. Now, let me think...I've been working for well over 30 years...when was the last time I had a job that required only 40 hours a week? Uh, that would be...never.
2000 hours a year...yeah, right.
Well that's certainly up to you. If you like the overtime and the extra pay. No one can force you to work over 40 a week. I personally liked the 40 , so that's what i did.
steve
That's what I thought you meant. Now, let me think...I've been working for well over 30 years...when was the last time I had a job that required only 40 hours a week? Uh, that would be...never.
2000 hours a year...yeah, right.

re: No one can force you to work over 40 a week
I wonder how my commanding officer would have reacted to that statement? <g>

re: Figure there's 2,000 working hours at best in a year, for a CEO to earn millions a year.
Do you really think a CEO only works a 40 hour week? Do you think he became a CEO by only working 40 hours a week?
I'm not saying that they are worth the money they make, but let's at least be somewhat accurate. There aren't too many multi-million dollar CEO's punching a 9-5 clock.

Reasonable for many, but the high paid CEO of a multi billion $$$ company is probably working closer to 3000 hours. Many years ago I used to work all the OT I could get and probably worked 2500+. Today I don't have a clue how many hours I put in. I'm salaried and don't keep track. I also come and go as I please. I'd guess in the 2000 hour range. When I "retire" I expect to work maybe half that.

When I hear "how much someone makes an hour", sometimes, it's highly ambiguous. Ironworkers ARE PAID a very high rate per hour. Yet, sometimes, they are on unemployment for part of the year because of the weather or lack of work. When they SAY they get $50 per hour, that doesn't mean they get a W-2 for $100,000 at the end of the year.
So, a person has to take their gross pay for a year, divide it by 2000 (that is only the ones that can compute 50 X 40 + 2,000) , and that's what they REALLY make an hour. And that does not account for overtime. Same with salaried workers, except they usually have a longer work week than 40 hours.
Steve

That's exactly why I don't own any stocks. As for using gasoline, I wouldn't even go out if I didn't have to go to work.

re: That's exactly why I don't own any stocks
Just curious: What are you invested in?

That's exactly why I don't own any stocks. As for using gasoline, I wouldn't even go out if I didn't have to go to work.
====================== What does owning stocks have to do with the fact that some CEOs make outrageous salaries?

In my opinion, a lot.
I own some stocks, and one of the criteria I use is "what do they pay the CEO".
A stock I would not buy for that reason Comcast.
A company that passes the test LIFC.
Sure there are lots of other more important issues but CEO pay reflects how the company feels about it's share holders.