Question: "This Old House" The Current Project

Page 1 of 3
features renovation of a modern house in Cambridge MA, and, it must be costing $$$MILLIONS! The house features all kinds of labor-intensive details.
Who pays for this? The program, which is partly funded by our donations? Or the home owner?
Jack wrote:

Not sure if your donation money makes it into the project - kind of doubtful. There's advertising and the show promotes products, materials and contractors - plenty of bucks in that. The project is in Cambridge, MA and in a great section. The house hadn't had anything done to it in quite some time. I'm not sure how long the owner has lived there, but I gathered it had been a while, so there must have been a fair amount of equity in the property. I don't know what the owner does, but he went to MIT, and we all know they're loaded. Right, Jeff? ;)
A way long time ago, I think on one of their projects they stated the costs and the break down.
The home owners have to put up a certain amount (for that project it was about $50,000) and there were some things donated to them but they had to claim them (the value of them) on their taxes. The show didn't put any money into the project, it only rounded up the small handful of 'donations' from the companies they featured their products for. For example, instead of paying $10,000 for radiant floor heating, the home owner's cost would be around $4,000 with a $6,000 figure being 'donated'.
If the home owners would have renovated without TOH, it would have cost about $100,000.
Jack wrote:

thats how it works, plus the fun of being on tv...
thats how it works, plus the fun of being on tv...
thats how it works, plus the fun of being on tv...
Theres a huge set of payments from any manufacturer who's product gets mentioned on the show that go to Rus Morash and his merry minions. Not only ius any manufacturer giving away a miniscule amount of product, they are playing a huge "placement fee" to the producers.
Not sure if any of that "placement fee" money goes into any hmeowner project, but it does pay the "talaent", such as it is, on the how -- i.e. "Rich" the plumbing guy, "Tom" the contractor guy; "Norm" th whatever guy, "Roger" the landscape guy, and the "host".
Morash has made a HUGE amount of money with the franchise, and only a small percentage of that has filtered back to WGBH and less to PBS as a whole.
--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

That is why I will never donate. Also the ads
--
My boss said I was dumb and apathetic.
I said I don\'t know and I don\'t care...
in article y4mdnYE3kcFHEUjenZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com, Tekkie at snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote on 1/23/06 7:11 PM:

And so many many many other reasons.

I remember listening to a PBS radio station (sometime in the eighties). I heard a relative getting a gift membership for "Sam Lloyd" (the cat).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Dave wrote:

That home owner (George Marby) is very unlikeable and a bit of a whiner. A TV guide listing of the show describes him as a Bio-Tech Bachelor. I wonder if there are any hamsters crawling around that house .... snipped-for-privacy@home.net (Jack) wrote:

Sir Topham Hatt wrote:

Also he must be a very rich guy. They installed radiant heating under an outdoor walkway so that he wouldn't have to shovel it in the winter. How much is THAT going to increase his heating cost in the winter?
Mikey wrote:

Probably no more than paying someone to shovel it. If you get a lot of snow, I 'll be the radiant driveway ends up cheap.

Let's see... <breaking out the web search engine>
Assume: a 20' x 50' driveway = 1000sq.ft. 6" snow = ~1" water (frozen) = 170cu.ft. ice 63 lbs/cu ft. = 1E4 lb 450 gm / lb. = 4.7E6 g Latent heat of freezing 80cal/g = 3.7E8 cal 1 cal = .004 BTU = 1.5E6 BTU 140k btu/gallon = 10.8 gallons of oil Unless I've screwed something up (likely) about eleven gallons of oil or about $30, assuming no heat is lost to the atmosphere (big assumption given 1000sq.ft. surface) and 100% efficient heat transfer.
Now where are you going to put 700ish gallons of water that's just ready to freeze again? ;-)
By contrast a snow blower uses about a pint of gasoline and piles the still frozen water neatly out of the way until spring. ;-))
--
Keith

Keith-
I agree witht the basics of your post as well as the conclusion (move & store snow in frozen form but I have always thought 12" of snow equaled 1" of water If so you cacls are somewhat off
Also the heated walks / drives I am familair with Mammoth Lakes, CA) are turned on when the snow starts so you're not dealing all the snow at once but as it comes down, So the melted water flow away via "normal drainage"
Bottom line is........... if melting snow was cost effective there would be more snow melting insallations & few snow blowers throwers. Last year we got 10ft in week, my fuel bill wsa high enough with a drive melter. :)
cheers Bob

Let's see... <breaking out the web search engine>
Assume: a 20' x 50' driveway = 1000sq.ft. 6" snow = ~1" water (frozen) = 170cu.ft. ice 63 lbs/cu ft. = 1E4 lb 450 gm / lb. = 4.7E6 g Latent heat of freezing 80cal/g = 3.7E8 cal 1 cal = .004 BTU = 1.5E6 BTU 140k btu/gallon = 10.8 gallons of oil
Unless I've screwed something up (likely) about eleven gallons of oil or about $30, assuming no heat is lost to the atmosphere (big assumption given 1000sq.ft. surface) and 100% efficient heat transfer.
Now where are you going to put 700ish gallons of water that's just ready to freeze again? ;-)
By contrast a snow blower uses about a pint of gasoline and piles the still frozen water neatly out of the way until spring. ;-))
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

IIRC 12:1 is a pretty dry number. 10:1 is dry snow. I believe 6:1 is closer to the average. Whatever, the numbers are on the weather sites (snowfall vs. precipitation); scale accordingly.

But that "normal drainage" is off the path only to re-freeze somewhere else. Some may go down the drain, some may just cause a skating rink in the road (the towns around here will get mighty pissed).

I assume you mean w/o. ;-) 10'? Yikes! We had 5' in three storms over 10 days (early December) last year. That was 'nuff. Fortunately we didn't get much more until March.
--
Keith

Keith Williams wrote:

Of course your time is not worth anything, if it is someone elses time, it will cost more than 30 bucks, at least around here. I think the plow companies get twice that
Keith Williams wrote:

... 20x50x1/12 = 83 ft^3.

5250 lb (actually less, since ice is less dense than water.)

... 5250x144 = 756K Btu, eg 756K/(55-32) = 32869 lb (522 ft^3) of groundwater cooling from 55 to 32 F.

Back in the 4' deep x 50' long x 522/50/4 = 2.6' wide stone-filled trench with an EPDM liner on one side of the driveway, where it can warm up to 55 F and get pumped over the driveway to melt the next batch of snow :-)
Nick
Mikey wrote:

Not nearly as much as you might think, but in any event it's a drop in the bucket when you're spending a couple hundred grand for a staircase. http://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete/snow_melting_systems/costs.htm