Question re cutting door down to size

I have some hollow core doors that are 80" in height that I need to cut down to 78 3/4". They seem to have a 2" frame on the top and bottom. I am going to install by-pass roller hardware on the top so I think I should only remove wood from the bottom. Do you think I will degrade the integrity of the door if that much is removed from one end.

Thanks for your assistance.

michael snipped-for-privacy@lindbeck.us

Reply to
Michael Lindbeck

Sigh.

RicodJour

I apologize for the multiple posts. I posted the question and never saw it appear in the newsgroup; so I changed something in my newsreader configuration and tried again. I tried again... Then, the third try worked. Then, the first two appeared hours later. Confusing. I though I had something setup wrong. Sorry.

michael

Reply to
Michael Lindbeck

"Michael Lindbeck" wrote

It happens Michael, don't worry about it (grin).

On the door, we have similar. You may be happier just getting another door and the reason is if yours are like ours, the thin veneer wood covering will splinter if you try to cut it down.

That said, if you want to try it, by all means work from the direction you list and be prepared to have to add a new thin wood at the bottom up inside, basically 'moving up' the wood that is there now or replacing with a new piece. That piece now is probably only 1 inch or so thick even if it seems more before you open the door up. So you cant just take it out and leave the bottom 'floppy' or it will get damaged fast.

Reply to
cshenk

Fair enough. No harm, no foul. Cutting the door down is easy and shouldn't take you more than about an hour working at a careful pace and doing it for the first time. Use a razor knife to score deeply on your cut line, then use a staightedge as a guide for your circular saw. Strip the veneer from both sides of the off-cut bottom piece - I may not have mentioned it's better to just cut one end. You will have to use a block of wood or some such to push the cardboard honeycomb door innards out of the way so you can slip in the stripped off-cut piece. Use a chisel and plane to clean up the inside faces of the door skins and the outside of the off-cut so you'll get a nice fit. Glue and clamp the Franken-wood piece back into the cavity of the cut down door. After the glue's set up, use a block plane to trim the/ bevel the edges and you're good to go.

RicodJour

Although hollow-core doors obviously don't need the strength as solid doors, I would be concerned if more than 40% of any rail was removed. Obviously I can't see your door nor how it was made, but generally the bottom rail has more extra beef than other rails.

Reply to
Phisherman

Michael Lindbeck wrote in news:VxC4k.13829$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi066.nbdc.sbc.com:

Drill a third hole look at the hole from the your first or second posting.

Reply to
Red Green