Question re cordless tools etc.

Like printer cartridges where replacement a couple of times can can cost as much as a new printer! Replacement battery packs for cordless tools cost almost as much/more than a new tool!

Have accumulated and been given several cordless drills with worn out batteries, and even if one has newer cordless tools the batteries even of the same manufacture don't fit. We must have five (at least) different style battery packs!

We have rebuilt (maybe re-celling is the right term, but it's lot of work repacking and then connecting together the new cells within each battery pack) a couple of Bosch drill batteries because we liked the drill, but then the charger into which only that battery pack will fit, failed and a new charger is around $70!

So of course we got another, cheaper, cordless drill and it with it's particular style of battery pack and charger works well enough for a do-it-yourself-er; and we have other, older, 115 and 230 volt drills anyway. One of them a Wolf drill bought in 1953 for really heavy work!

But thinking of a couple of strategies to make use of the drills, which given batteries still work; still have working key-less chucks etc.

1) Rig up an external connection from other chargers of the right voltage etc.

2) Use a completely external power supplies from the AC supply to power each drill (sans batteries although they'd probably be retained in place for proper balance and use these drills on various work benches (we have 3 benches in various locations) and retain the cordless and 'regular' plug in drills for other work.

With bench work it's sometimes useful to have a second drill at hand to avoid frequent swapping of bits etc. There is also, as the amount of salvaged and saved 'junk' in my basement attests, a wish to not just throw away somethings that still work! It's called recycling these days AIUI?

BTW an ancillary question.

3) How does one remove a key-less chuck from a drill? Cos could put one on an older corded drill that has a too-small chuck which is also getting a bit 'past it' and doesn't tighten well even with the correct chuck-key.

Comments advice, rants, criticism welcomed.

Reply to
terry

Maybe rebuild a few packs on good drills with good batteries like Sanyo, but heating a battery with a iron will ruin it or shorten its life, junk a few poor ones and buy one with a real warranty, Ridgid has lifetime warranty even on batteries, tool and charger, if battery or other part, the warranty is dissalowed by HD, Microwave it till it Smokes, then it IS defective. I went with HD as chargers and battery style are interchangeable, I have used a 9.6v battery on an 18v tool.

  1. A charger does not have the amps to power a drill and will be ruined.
  2. then its a corded drill
3 a chuck is bolted on, open fully and look inside it.
Reply to
ransley

hallerb

Thank you for the various advice. Also for company names etc. Basically need a battery-replacer in Canada to avoid hassle of getting customs people to only levy export/import tariffs and taxes etc. on value of the replaced batteries not the original or listed retail value of each battery pack.

Sometimes the tariffs are to 'protect' industries in either country (Cos much of this stuff is made overseas anyway; for example our 'German' Bosch drill has battery packs from China. We strongly suspect the drill itself was manufactured or assembled in Mexico. Also enquiring of the local Bosch agent about a replacement battery charger which IIRC appeared to be supplied from Taiwan!).

Our 'Japanese' Nissan truck was manufactured, for example in USA (In Tennessee I think?).

Reply to
terry

I also hate to throw away otherwise good tools.

has some charge plugs, and power supplies of various voltages. Might be possible to wire the drill to a low voltage power supply, and use it on a cord, that way.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Our 'Japanese' Nissan truck was manufactured, for example in USA (In Tennessee I think?).

In Smyrna, TN to be exact...close to Nashville.

David

Reply to
David