Question on wiring a plug (not a socket)

Need to replace the plug on a battery charger due to someone breaking off the grounding prong, and am not absolutely certain on how to hook up the other two prongs. I know that black is hot and white is neutral, but does the black go to the left prong (normally a little "wider" than the right, but not on the replacement I bought) and white to the right, or reverse? Somebody please enliighten me, before I plug this thing up and damage it. Many thanks.
Dave
On 5/11/2011 7:24 PM, Dave wrote:

The wider blade is the neutral, narrower, hot.
On a polarized plug, as well as the wider blade the screw terminals should show a color change that is discernible as lighter/darker.
Facing a receptacle w/ the ground at the top, the neutral is to your right.
Receptacle 2-pole/3-wire
| | W |

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. So, facing the wall socket, with ground on the botton, hot is left and neutral is right? Sorry, I wasn't too clear at first. Hope this is better...
Dave

I don't think what you stated is correct. The best way to get it right is to always connect the BLACK wire to the *narrow* blade. The WHITE wire to the *wide* blade and the green wire to the round "blade".
.

I Always look at the outlet. It alwas has small and wide slots, not always like that on the plug
Greg

Looking at the receptacle in the wall...
If the ground is at the BOTTOM, then neutral (the wide slot) is on your LEFT.
If the ground is at the TOP, then neutral (the wide slot) is on your RIGHT.
--
Tegger

Do what Mr. Crusher said to do, green to round blade, white to wide blade, and black to narrow blade. It doesn't matter how you hold the plug if you follow this procedure.

The way I remember this is that by making the narrow blad thee hot blade, it means you can't push the wide blade which should not be hot into the hot slot, so it's safer.
Despite how much sense this makes, 20 years after figuring this out, I still get confused.

I didnt' read it.

And you supposed don't need different width blades on a three-pronged plug because you can only plug it in one way (unless you plug it into a narrow cube tap or break off the ground prong).

Guess you are talking about the US wiring. Hook the black wire to the brass colored screw and the white wire to the silver colored screw. The green goes to the green screw which will be the round prong.
You will not damage anything if you do switch the black and white wires. It just will not be as safe to use. Usually not a problem for someting like a battery charger.
Thanks, all, for your assistance. I didn't even realize that the plug had different colored screws. <shaking head.> Simple once you know what you are doing. Your help is much appreciated.
Dave

Dave wrote:

When I needed to know that (to wirea plug), I looked at the recepticle and got the answer a lot faster than asking people. You could too.
BTW, looking at recepticle, ground down, neutral on left.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

And hot (black) wire always goes to SMALL receptacle slot, ground down, on the right.
Joe