Question on sump pit

Hi, We have a sump pit and pump in our basement. Because of the heavy rains recently, we are getting water into the sump pit from the drain tiles. The water is still coming into the pit, the pit fills up every

15minutes or so. The problem is, after reaching a particular level, the water level does not raise anymore even though there is water coming into it thru the pipe from drail tiles. It just stops at a particular level. The sump pump is connected to the power source thru floater. When we disconnect the floater and connect the sump pump directly to the power and drain out the water in the pit and again connect it to the floater power, the next time water level raises and reaches a level where the floater kicks off the sump pump. The second time onwards, the water level remains same no matter how much water comes from the pipe connected to drain tiles. Where is this water going? Why does not it raise to a level where the floater kicks off the sump pump? The pit liner is perforated. Is the water going thru these holes into the ground? If so, at some point it water level should raise. But even after an hour of observation, the water level does not raise. Please help us understand whats happening. Thanks.
Reply to
Sri

The sump is doing its job. You might adjust the pump float so it does NOT turn on until the water level is higher, providing protection only when truly needed.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

Since most sump pumps are centrifugal pumps, there's an open path between their input and output even when they are stopped.

So, I'll make a WAG that the pipe or hose connected to the output of your sump pump may have its far end located lower than the top of the sump pit and once the pump runs a while and fills up that line it may continue to drain water from the sump pit through plain old syphon action.

Think that's a possibility? Do you know where the end of the drain line is and can you see it to determine if water is running out of it even when the pump is stopped?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Jeff, Thanks for the reply. That is a good point. But, we cannot see the output of the pump. The builder said it is connected to the city storm sewer drainage. He also said that there are some holes on the bottom of the pit too, but he could not tell us why the water level was not raising. We will need to find out more about the output of the pump. THanks.

Reply to
Sri

sounds like a natural siphon effect, this is great news it will protect yu during a power outage

Reply to
hallerb

This could be a siphon effect. I am wondering why this works only after a second time? I mean, after we drain this out manually, the pit fills up first time till it drains off by the floater. Why does the siphon effect only works only for the second time? Thanks.

Reply to
Sri