question on slanted floor

I placed a bid on a garden style condominium that is 2 floors. My unit would be on the second floor. The living room floor is a little slanted. There is of course a unit below me. Does anyone know what could possibly have happened. The condo was built in 1984. Is there something I should do? thankyou for any info.

Reply to
rogv24

Your bid has a contingency clause for a professional inspection, right?

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Even if you bring in a qualified home inspector he is not likely to be able to tell you 1) The absolute reason for the slant and 2) Whether or not it is safe.

He will probably refer you to a qualified structural engineer which is what you would need here. I heard firsthand a story of a family who bought a house with a slanted floor in one room because a structural engineer gave it a clean bill of health and they have had no further issues.

A slant can be caused by a sinking foundation which would be your worst case scenario.

Even if a structural engineer says it's okay I would personally be concerned about resale value. Something like that can make people keep on looking.

Good luck.

-ben

Reply to
Ben

correction worse case scenerio termites ........................

best case scenerio regular lumber rotted on concrete.

to the OP look in the basement and see if is slanted there. work your way up from floor to floor to see where it starts slanting.

| | Even if a structural engineer says it's okay I would personally be | concerned about resale value. Something like that can make people keep | on looking. | | Good luck. | -ben | | On Mar 23, 11:00 am, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: | > I placed a bid on a garden style condominium that is 2 floors. My | > unit would be on the second floor. The living room floor is a little | > slanted. There is of course a unit below me. | > Does anyone know what could possibly have happened. The condo was | > built in 1984. | > Is there something I should do? thankyou for any info. | |

Reply to
3G

How much and where is the slant? Off 1/2" one side to the other, or sinking 3" in the middle? How, in relation to load-bearing walls? Another floor above? Wood frame construction? Masonry walls?

Reply to
Norminn

I am going with an architect today (a friend) to look at the place. There is another unit smaller one came on the market today in the same complex asking for $20,000 more than what I paid for. There's is 1080 sq ft 2 bedroom by 2 bath. mine is 3 bedroom 2 bath and its 1380 sq ft. I don't know what to do at this point. the home inspector saw this place and said that there is a slant on top of the two stairs that go into the loft. Thats it, nothing about the living room. My friend will bring a leveler to look into the slant. regards Roger

Reply to
rogv24

That would be worderful if he could bring a leveler.

He'll probably just bring a level.

Good luck.

Reply to
mm

It looks like the floor is OK. I will proceed to buy the condo. The architect checked out the place with a level and it looks OK. Thanks for you advise.

Reply to
rogv24