Question on Ryobi batteries/charger.

I am looking at a reconditioned 18 volt, 8 inch, Ryobi ONE+ cordless chain saw. I just need it for pruning branches. I currently use a bow saw, but it is difficult to get to some branches because of other nearby branches. The reconditioned saw comes without a battery or charger. I already have a Ryobi 18 volt ONE+ battery charger and two ONE+ 18v NiCad batteries. The ONE+ means the batteries can be used in various 18 volt ONE+ Ryobi tools. I am also looking at an 18v Ryobi ONE+ Lithium Ion battery. My question is: Can the Li-Ion battery be charged in the Ni Cad battery charger that I already have, or do I need a Li-ion charger as well?

Reply to
willshak

willshak wrote in news:t82dncn2kMsk1YjXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

what's it say on the charger itself? Have you Googled Ryobi to see if they have info on their website?

Li-ion batteries are better because they hold a usable charge for months while NiCd and NiMH self-discharge much faster.But they do need a charger specific for Li-ion.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

*The ONE+ charger can handle both batteries. I was also told that the regular charger can handle the Lithium Ion batteries, but have not confirmed this.
Reply to
John Grabowski

On the Li-Ion battery packaging, it says you need to use the specific Li-Ion charger and not the standard Ni-Cad one.

So much for the Ryobi ONE...I guess its now the Ryobi ONE and TWO

Reply to
Rudy

Not exactly: ISTR that the charger designed for the LI-ion batteries handles the Ni-Cd ones as well. I don't think we can blame Ryobi for not making their Ni-Cd charger handle batteries of a kind that they had not yet introduced.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I read the same thing when the Lithium Ion batteries were first released along with their ability to be used as replacements for the original batteries in the various Ryobi tools. I have almost the complete set of the One+ tools and can't find anything negative to say about them. I have been using them for about two years and just now bought two new batteries because the original batteries were not holding a charge as long as I wanted.

Reply to
BobR

on 5/21/2009 8:49 AM (ET) Jim Yanik wrote the following:

The charger is many years old and made before Li-ion batteries were available. I made a mistake tho. The charger I have is not a ONE+ charger, but it does charge the ONE+ NiCad batteries.

The only thing they say is that the 18v Li-ion battery can be used in any 18v ONE+ tool. They don't say the Li-ion battery can be charged on an older charger.

That's what I was asking. At $80 for a Li-ion battery, I'll try the NiCads in the chain saw, before investing in 2 Li-Ion batteries and charger,.

Reply to
willshak

ote:

primcell in bedford PA primecell.com can affordably rebuild your battery packs with all new cells, often with better capacity

Reply to
bob haller

bob haller

For the price of the 2 Li-Ion batteries and the corresponding charger, you can BUY a good gas CHAINSAW that has probably 4X the "life" and power.

Reply to
Rudy

I read the same thing when the Lithium Ion batteries were first released along with their ability to be used as replacements for the original batteries in the various Ryobi tools. I have almost the complete set of the One+ tools and can't find anything negative to say about them. I have been using them for about two years and just now bought two new batteries because the original batteries were not holding a charge as long as I wanted.

BobR, I'm not as impressed with the Ryobi tools as you are, and the 18v pruning saw is the worst of the bunch. A 9" folding Corona pruning saw does a much better and faster job. I also have many of the Ryobi ONE+ tools, and the only one I rely on anymore is their battery powered caulking gun, which souds strange but actually is a real winner.

Reply to
JimR

I read the same thing when the Lithium Ion batteries were first released along with their ability to be used as replacements for the original batteries in the various Ryobi tools. I have almost the complete set of the One+ tools and can't find anything negative to say about them. I have been using them for about two years and just now bought two new batteries because the original batteries were not holding a charge as long as I wanted.

I have the complete set as well except for the impact driver...I like them as well...Haven't got the new batteries yet....I was under the impression the new ones need the new charger....

Reply to
benick

I have used the 18v Reciprocating saw for tons of tree trimming as well as cutting out 20 year old shrubs around the house. Also used it for cutting all the PVC pipe for replacing the sprinkler system. Have used the heck out of both the drill and right-angle drill on many projects including driving screws through hardyboard on a bathroom remodel. The orbital sander has been great on sanding the wings, flaps, and fuselage of a plane I am building. I even got good use out of the small circular saw when doing the remodeling project.

The only problem I have experienced was trying to recharge the battery immediately after heavy usage when it was still hot. After finally actually reading the instructions on the set of batteries I bought this week (don't let my wife know I actually read instructions) I found that was my fault for trying to charge the HOT battery. The only tool that I haven't been impressed with was the chain saw which leaked out all the oil all over my shelves. It just didn't seem to have the speed or power for any usefull cutting operations. The recip saw really seemed to be more useful for that purpose.

I also have a 12v Lithium-Ion drill system at my hangar but don't have enough useage to make any judgements on it yet.

Reply to
BobR

[...]

I haven't tried the Ryobi 18v recip saw - I essentially converted to Ridgid cordless once they came out with a lifetime replacement policy on the batteries. I agree completely with your analysis of the chain saw, and my Ridgid cordless drills, circ saw and recip saw run rings around the Ryobi comparable units that I do have -- but I like their cordless caulking gun.

Reply to
JimR