question on roofing jog I am having done

I am having a roofing job done --strictly standard asphault type dimensional shingles on steep roof to an on roof copper spouting

I notice the other night as I had paid for a water and ice shield that I did not see any type of adhesive backed rubber membrane at all but just a layer of roof asphault shingle type material under the first layer of roof ing shingles Is this perhaps supposed to be some type of rain and ice dam type material I have never heard of or have I been fleeced? I had expected an adhesive backed rubber membrane from my on roof spouting up under my roof that I am having done or is there a new type of ice and water damn as this material I saw resembles only half sheets of oridinary roofing shingles Thanks for a reply Jose

Reply to
jose

Jose wrote: >I am having a roofing job done --strictly standard asphault type dimensional

Some ice and water membranes have granules affixed to them, so it might look like asphalt shingle material. The membrane should go up at least 3 feet beyond the inside wall of the house, and lap onto the dripedge. Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

It was possibly just the starter course of shingles. When using 3 tab shingles you install one shingle upside down or with the tabs cut off first to provide protection for the gap between the tabs. I'm not sure if architectural shingles have this same requirement or not.

Reply to
Brikp