Question on roofing

After IKE I have to have my roof shingled and I am wondering is there a product I can have put down on the older shingles then put the new shingles on top to help reflex the heat during the summer?

Reply to
Moe Jones

You might want to consider using GAF "Cool Colors" shingles, which are intended to reflect heat. From the street the "Cool Colors Antique Slate" looks about the same as "Fox Hill Gray" but from the peak of the roof they look downright metallic.

As far as putting anything under the shingles, there is insulation that can go there, but I believe that you have to do a tearoff to install it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

The heat that radiates into your attic does heat your house. But it simultaneously cools the roof. If the heat didn't dissapate, your shingles would turn to a liquid, run off the roof, and kill your grass.

Lighter colored shingles might help reflect the heat but they show stains and dirt.

Drive around your town and look at the light-colored shingles (if you can find any). You may live in an area where there is not much soot and exhaust particulates in the air. If so, light-colored shingles may work for you.

Reply to
HeyBub