question on recessed can bulb sizing

I just installed some 4" recessed cans in a remodeled bathroom and am choosing bulbs.

The Halo trim kits say that the max bulb wattage is a 50 Watt PAR20 or a 50 Watt R20.

So, I have a halogen bulb (an R20) that says "40 Watt = 75 Watt" which appears to be saying that this halogen bulb uses 40 Watt of electricity to produce light that is equivalent (in some sense) to a

75 Watt incandescent.

Question: is this R20 bulb ok for my 4" can? I think it is and in fact is slightly undersized since the trim kit allows a 50 Watt R20 and my R20 is only 40 Watt. Is that right? I probably should just ignore the incandescent comparison but I want to make sure.

Thanks,

mh

Reply to
Mike

On 8/14/2008 8:23 PM Mike spake thus:

Since the size recommendation applies to power consumed by the bulb, not equivalent light output, you should be just fine with the 40/75 w bulb.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

You should be fine, and if for some reason that lamp, or any other lamp, produced to much heat for the fixture, the internal temperature cutout would cycle on and off

Reply to
RBM