Question on pool chemical level etc.

I have a 16x32 in-ground pool with an average depth of 6 feet (estimates). I believe the water capacity is around 20,000-25,000 gallon. I just get a water test report from a local swimming pool shop:

Free Available Chlorine (FAC): 5 (standard: 1-3 ppm) Total Available Chlorine (TAC): 5 (standard: 1-3 ppm) Water PH: 7 (7.4-7.6) Total Alkalinity: 0 (standard: 80-100ppm) Cyanuric Acid (CYA): 100 (standard: 30-50ppm) Calcium Hardness: 40 (200-400 ppm) Total Dissolved Solids (TDS): 450 (2500 PPM Max.)

The recommendation is: First day: First apply 39 LB Alkalinity Up. Then Apply 1 1/2 Soda Ash.

Second Day: Apply 52 LB Hardness Plus. Then add 14 1/2 LB Conditioner.

This recommendation requires a lot of chemicals to me. Though I have bought all the chemicals needed I still hesitate to apply all of them.

Any explanation on the water condition of the pool and why need so much chemicals?

My pool water supply is from well water that is hard water. Pool was opened a month ago and according to the service company they applied all the chemicals and water looks great now.

Thanks,

- philip

Reply to
Philip Wang

I would say go slow with the Ph adjustments. I have done what's recommended and then found I am counteracting it within a week. I wonder if your cyanuric acid is too high and your chlorine won't work as well, but I wouldn't do anything about that.

I had a lot of trouble with staining from my well water. Mostly red on the liner from rust? I was lucky to be able to switch to municipal water and that fixed that.

Best of luck

Reply to
SMF

Its been awhile but I had same problem First Chlorine 5 ppm did you just clean and adjust the water before the test its best to wait a day or two and get a sample arm depth down If not its too high and when you get the rest right will need even less Total Alkalinity has to be right or you'll never get the rest to stay

1 1/2 Soda Ash. sounds right (baking soda) hmmm
the Alkalinity Up the baking soda will help keep it there You have hard water for your house but not hard enough for the pool looks great but will be very hard on any metal and harder to keep looking great After all the chemicals shouldn't have to do it again this season not in that amount anyway Spud
Reply to
Spud

First, time to start over by changing out the water to eliminate CYA. Get city water, or truck it in, or as a last resort have a filter/ion-exchange- bed set up for your well water.

Second, yes, pools require those big expensive sacks of chemicals once in a while. Nature abhors purity, and this is how you fight the battle. If you thought otherwise, you're naive, or perhaps you just bought this from a hand-waving real estate agent.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch