Question on plastic drain trap

Hello ALL

A week ago I got tired of the bathroom sink being such a slow drain and took the trap off and cleaned it, the pipe and the stopper.

Its all plastic except the throat pipe.

I put everything back together too. Difference being that I remembered -- I think -- that the trap was hand-tighten. I used a pair of water pump pliers to get it off and to put it back on. Last time, years ago i think, I hand tightened it but I have lost a lot of strength in my hands and forearms since then.

However, I have a small problem. Since I put it back together, the pipe has been leaking at a pretty good clip around the 'throat' where it goes into the trap.

Somewhere around here I have some teflon tape but am unsure if I need it on the threads or the pipe itself, or in the case of plastic if at all. The throat I refer to is the straight piece of chromed pipe from the sink.

There is a nylon (?) collar which is supposed to tighten (I assume) to stop this leakage at the throat.

I had hoped that it would quit leaking on it's own but that has not happened and i have a bucket under it to catch the considerable leak. All I have to do is forget to empty that bucket every day and i got serious problems with water on the floor besides rotting out the undersink flooring.

It is 20 years old. Any ideas?

jim

Reply to
FACE

The nylon "collar" is a beveled slip-joint washer; it does the sealing. You can get new ones at any hardware store.

It's unorthodox, but you can apply a little silicone caulk to the washer to help it seal. Dry everything off first.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Thanks, Jim.

Reply to
FACE

Just go to your local home depot or lowes and get you another trap. only a couple of dollars and will fix up your problem.

Reply to
Daniel L. Belton

Oh well, two ways to do it and in the dark underneath the sink I do it the wrong way.

I took the trap off this morning to look at the threads and possibly to use teflon tape on them. The final 1/4" or so of the front threads were buggered but it hand tightened just fine.

I had the slip joint washer(front side) upside down. That is, the smaller beveled part was down and the full diameter side was up. Apparently it goes the other way.

I have re-put it on and have no leaks.

Thanks guys for getting me to relook at it. I have egg on FACE.

Daniel, at this time, buying a new trap was not really an option. How many times has someone told you that such-and-such was a dollar or two at home depot and you went to get it and it was 23.95. :-)

Worse, i could have called 'Mr. Plumber' or something and paid maybe $140 for the trip and a 'new' 'trap assembly'. But then, I would be paying for his time which is not unreasonable to do.

jim

Reply to
FACE