Question on new gas range safety

MIL just purchased a new gas range, its this one: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuIdy94012&type=product&id 55070315169&ref&loc&ci_src110944&ci_skuy94012
I smell gas in the kitchen and turn out that one of the top burners was on but no flame. Doesn't new ranges have safety feature to prevent this kind of situation? MIL said she was cleaning the range and must accidentally bumped one of the control knobs.
Otherwise seems like a nice 36" range for the price.
If you installed this oven. You should use a light coat of soapy water wet to see if your leaking gas.... All connections. Coat each hook up and look for tiny bubbles. That will be a gas leak. Just keep looking at each hook up. Do not stop if you find one or two everything needs to be looked at. Very important. You should have perfestional person install this and my sure your no going to have a explosion........
Frank wrote:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuIdy94012&type=product&id 55070315169&ref&loc&ci_src110944&ci_skuy94012
Did you read what the OP wrote? It wasn't a leak it was a operator error that had the burner on without ignition.
There is a "safety feature" that the Gas Company has installed just to address this sort of issue - it's the obnoxious odor that gas has to alert you of its presence. Works well in most cases.

yes, it is possible and real easy to turn the controls past the sparking range without them lighting. You have to be smarter than the machine.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuIdy94012&type=product&id 55070315169&ref&loc&ci_src110944&ci_skuy94012
yeah they can easily be bumped, one day this safety issue will have to be fixed.
it could happen with pilot models too, just bumped a little might not lite the pilot.
although this is much less likely today with the push to turn controls
S. Barker wrote:

On my gas range, you have to push the control before it will turn - two physical operations. Difficult to do accidentally.

No, you just have to use your brain.