question on my disposable

Shrug..

Admit that you just wanted to play.

It's bed time for me now. I guess I should fill the sink with water before going to bed and try running it the first thing in the morning. Hope it runs in the morning cus I don't have much time in the morning to deal with it..

I have been leaving it on more than a few seconds when I ran the disposable.

I'll run it once before going to sleep.

As long as the disposable is running, I thunk I have hope to resolve the problem.

Reply to
Amanda

No wonder when I was using a plunger, I didn't feel like it was doing anything. I have that vent ith a silver cap.

How about very strong mailing tape?

I guess, all I can do now is wait.

Reply to
Amanda

Sounding cute and looking cute are two different things, don't you agree?

Your assumption that *a man (referring to any man) can resolve this problem* is wrong.

You are out of luck.

I am sure there are many Amandas where you live. You just have to try getting their attention.

Reply to
Amanda

If the disposal is running without jamming, the problem is now one of plumbing. From your description, I would guess that a pile of gummy rice is clogged in the sink trap. You may need to get a friend, plumber, or coal miner lol, to dismantle it and clean it out

Reply to
RBM

-snip-

Better than a spatula & it should work with rice is this little tool-

It's a drain-Stick, by Superior Tool. Less than $5 at your local Hardware, Home Depot or Lowes. I use mine before the plunger on all drains. It is plenty flexible to maneuver its way through your disposal- but it will take some wiggling the first time you do it.

[the pictures don't show it well, but the end is a bunch of plastic barbs, so it really tears up clogs of grease, gunk & hair]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

My local male friends - 2 of them - would have never done this kind of dismantling.

Might be plumber time now but I'll try to find someone first.

Thanks for all the help.

Reply to
Amanda

All that boiling water has cooked the rice causing it to expand and further plug the pipe. I have had left over cooked rice plug a pipe, rice cooked in the pipe will be a real challenge to clean out.

Reply to
EXT

Don't give up yet.............if you have access to shop (wet/dry) vacuum use it to suck as much rice as possible out of the disposal.

When this whole episode started you had a jammed disposal, now you have a clogged drain but not a jammed disposal.

My guess is the clog is in the trap just beyond the disposal.....remove all the junk from beneath the sink, place towels & a shallow catch basin of some sort under the trap & remove it.

USe the shop vac again to suck any rice out of the plumbing you can access......put it all back together & give it a try.

In the future if you want to dispose of buggy food; two options ziploc bag & into the trash OR down the toilet but not more than a typical toilet load per flush plus flush & get the water flowing & pour the stuff in. Hold the handle down to maximize the flush.

The key to have your disposal not jam up.......add stuff to it while it & the water is running, don't feed it too much too fast, let the water run for enough time after you're done grinding to wash all the food waste through the trap & on its way.

Encourage both of your male friends to dig into this problem...it isn't that hard & its a good life skill to have.

This could have happened at 6pm on Thanksgiving........(BTDT) getting a plumber out to fix something this simple at that time would cost a bundle. Plus with experience you can clear this problem faster than waitng for the plumber.

Good luck

Cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

There seems to be a clog, since the water sits there, but her main problem is that the disposal won't turn. Hmmm. In a way, it would be a mistake to get rid of the clog before the rice has been softened up.

OTOH, it will probably clog again fairly soon if the disposal can't turn. The ony time I run my disposal is when there is a clog. :) (Although I'm going to do better this time because I want to postpone it's rusting shut.)

Reply to
mm

If you're right, then I was right to say run the disposal every four hours. I love being right.

Although maybe that wasn't often enough? I wanted it to be run as the rice softened but before it expanded too much. I thought cold water might not work, but maybe it was better because the softening would take place more slowly, giving more opportunity to find it soft but not too much enlarged??

Reply to
mm

That's so true, about so many repairs.

BTW, has Amanda actually said the jamb is gone. I thought in the past when she said she was running it, that just meant waiting for it to start turning, or it moving a bit and then stalling. Who says it is actually running freely now?

Reply to
mm

The disposable was turning but the load in the sink wasn't going down.

Reply to
Amanda

After runnign it when I woke up and it was stillt he same, I didn't do anything about the disposable today cus I was gone the whole day.

I can rent one, I think. Do I just suck it up via the sink hole, il.e from the top?

Right.

Remove the trap? That's major work for me. I'll take a look but I doubt that I can do it. Does it need big hand and a lot of strength?

If I can take that apart.....

Thought about using grocery bag but was tried at the time, I just got home, trying to make put some rice in the rice cooker, and was just eager to get rid of it this bag of rice. Major mistake in rushing...

Both are in IT and are busy. One one works full time (5-6 days a week in hardware 3-11 shift) but started a programming job 4hr/day for 5 days a week. He is out of the question.

The other works full time (5 days a week) + in school + married with one child. He can probably try it later this week but I just asked him to assemble my inclined excercise bench when it arrives. So I am not sure whether I should ask him for this since he doesn't live in my side of town.

Tomorrow, I will try getting the thing you suggested above.

Reply to
Amanda

On Jan 31, 8:36 am, "BobK207" wrote: [..]

What if I use regular canister vacuum? I can just throw away the bag afterward instead of a trip to rent the shop vacuum?

I haven't started my day yet. If it is okay to use reglar vac, I'll try when I get up.

Reply to
Amanda

No, don't do that. You will get at least some water and it is not good for a regular vacuum. You will need a wet/dry vac if you want to try that.

Reply to
Jim Rusling

Okay then.

Reply to
Amanda

I'd rather buy a shp vacuum and try thi disposal problem. Do they come in different level wattage for the motor/ horsepower? Which one should I get (for the power)? Which size?

It will help greatly if I get this info before I leave home in 40 mins.

Reply to
Amanda

Actually, I'll levae in 20-25 mins.

Reply to
Amanda

From what I've read so far, you don't have rice in the disposal. If you look down the drain, do you see rice? If not, the blockage is beyond the disposal.

It's not hard at all to unscrew the pipe from the bottom of the disposal and look for a blockage there. Put a bucket under it before you loosen the pipe.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Look down the drain? How? From where?

Blockage seems to be beyond the disposal.

I looked at my unit and it seems that the drain pipe is attached to the disposal on the side. I see two big pieces that looked like it needs a wrnch to unscrew it; they are sitting side way holding the trap, I think.

I have a short, flat bucket. To unscrew it, I think I need a big wrench. I'll get one.

I will be back in a few hours.

Amanda