question on my disposable

Page 2 of 3

Uh, boy, rice down the drain. I doubt the plunger would harm anything. Rice is not good to put down drains, as you've learned by now. Maybe a short wooden stick to try and turn the cutters will help, and some diposals have a spot on the bottom to use a certain type of wrench. Just dont put too much torque on the unit, as you can inadvertantly mess with the plumbing/basket etc.. Tom

I have wooden spatula - may be too thick - and a set of wodden chopstick. I'll have to figure out what the cutter is. Have never seen the inside of the unit.

I think I sense that hole at the center of the bottom. Will look with flash light. Hard to put my head there to see though.

Unless it is very easy to turn, I doub that I will have enough strength to but I'll be careful :)
So, I will get more rice out first and work on it. Will report the result.

-snip-

Better than a spatula & it should work with rice is this little tool- http://www.superiortool.com/photos/specplumbtool/03819DrainStick.htm
It's a drain-Stick, by Superior Tool. Less than $5 at your local Hardware, Home Depot or Lowes. I use mine before the plunger on all drains. It is plenty flexible to maneuver its way through your disposal- but it will take some wiggling the first time you do it.
[the pictures don't show it well, but the end is a bunch of plastic barbs, so it really tears up clogs of grease, gunk & hair]
Jim
On 30 Jan 2007 17:48:08 -0800, in alt.home.repair you wrote:

I think you are putting us on, but I'll play.
I would keep the disposal full of water, and turn it on every 4 hours (except when sleeping) for a couple seconds. Eventually the rice will soften enough that the disposal will free up. If you leave it on more than a few seconds, you may have to press the reset button again, but that's ok if you don't do it very many times.
I'm reluctant to just say wait 24 hours because I have a vague feeling the rice might get gummy and clog the disposal even when it is soft, so I thought you should flush away as much as you can when it is soft enough to turn.
I wouldn't waste my time trying to turn it when it doesn't want to turn. Dry rice is really strong. Maybe when your sure it is wet, the wrench would help but by then I think it will run on its own.
I wouldn't call the plumber either.
P&M

Shrug..
Admit that you just wanted to play.

It's bed time for me now. I guess I should fill the sink with water before going to bed and try running it the first thing in the morning. Hope it runs in the morning cus I don't have much time in the morning to deal with it..

I have been leaving it on more than a few seconds when I ran the disposable.

Bad news.

I'll run it once before going to sleep.

As long as the disposable is running, I thunk I have hope to resolve the problem.

If the disposal is running without jamming, the problem is now one of plumbing. From your description, I would guess that a pile of gummy rice is clogged in the sink trap. You may need to get a friend, plumber, or coal miner lol, to dismantle it and clean it out

My local male friends - 2 of them - would have never done this kind of dismantling.
Might be plumber time now but I'll try to find someone first.
Thanks for all the help.

Don't give up yet.............if you have access to shop (wet/dry) vacuum use it to suck as much rice as possible out of the disposal.
When this whole episode started you had a jammed disposal, now you have a clogged drain but not a jammed disposal.
My guess is the clog is in the trap just beyond the disposal.....remove all the junk from beneath the sink, place towels & a shallow catch basin of some sort under the trap & remove it.
USe the shop vac again to suck any rice out of the plumbing you can access......put it all back together & give it a try.
In the future if you want to dispose of buggy food; two options ziploc bag & into the trash OR down the toilet but not more than a typical toilet load per flush plus flush & get the water flowing & pour the stuff in. Hold the handle down to maximize the flush.
The key to have your disposal not jam up.......add stuff to it while it & the water is running, don't feed it too much too fast, let the water run for enough time after you're done grinding to wash all the food waste through the trap & on its way.
Encourage both of your male friends to dig into this problem...it isn't that hard & its a good life skill to have.
This could have happened at 6pm on Thanksgiving........(BTDT) getting a plumber out to fix something this simple at that time would cost a bundle. Plus with experience you can clear this problem faster than waitng for the plumber.
Good luck
Cheers Bob

That's so true, about so many repairs.
BTW, has Amanda actually said the jamb is gone. I thought in the past when she said she was running it, that just meant waiting for it to start turning, or it moving a bit and then stalling. Who says it is actually running freely now?

The disposable was turning but the load in the sink wasn't going down.

After runnign it when I woke up and it was stillt he same, I didn't do anything about the disposable today cus I was gone the whole day.

I can rent one, I think. Do I just suck it up via the sink hole, il.e from the top?

Right.
Remove the trap? That's major work for me. I'll take a look but I doubt that I can do it. Does it need big hand and a lot of strength?

If I can take that apart.....

Thought about using grocery bag but was tried at the time, I just got home, trying to make put some rice in the rice cooker, and was just eager to get rid of it this bag of rice. Major mistake in rushing...

Both are in IT and are busy. One one works full time (5-6 days a week in hardware 3-11 shift) but started a programming job 4hr/day for 5 days a week. He is out of the question.
The other works full time (5 days a week) + in school + married with one child. He can probably try it later this week but I just asked him to assemble my inclined excercise bench when it arrives. So I am not sure whether I should ask him for this since he doesn't live in my side of town.

Tomorrow, I will try getting the thing you suggested above.

[..]

What if I use regular canister vacuum? I can just throw away the bag afterward instead of a trip to rent the shop vacuum?
I haven't started my day yet. If it is okay to use reglar vac, I'll try when I get up.

No, don't do that. You will get at least some water and it is not good for a regular vacuum. You will need a wet/dry vac if you want to try that.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired

Okay then.

[].
I'd rather buy a shp vacuum and try thi disposal problem. Do they come in different level wattage for the motor/ horsepower? Which one should I get (for the power)? Which size?
It will help greatly if I get this info before I leave home in 40 mins.

Actually, I'll levae in 20-25 mins.

From what I've read so far, you don't have rice in the disposal. If you look down the drain, do you see rice? If not, the blockage is beyond the disposal.
It's not hard at all to unscrew the pipe from the bottom of the disposal and look for a blockage there. Put a bucket under it before you loosen the pipe.

Right.
Look down the drain? How? From where?

Blockage seems to be beyond the disposal.

I looked at my unit and it seems that the drain pipe is attached to the disposal on the side. I see two big pieces that looked like it needs a wrnch to unscrew it; they are sitting side way holding the trap, I think.

I have a short, flat bucket. To unscrew it, I think I need a big wrench. I'll get one.
I will be back in a few hours.

On my unit there are rubber flaps covering the entrance to the unit at the sink drain. They are removeable, just pull on them. Or just push them aside. Stick your face close, you should be able to see the cutting blades and all. Use a flashlight if you have to.

Yes, actually mine is on the side too.

Those plastic nuts are usually finger tight. Give them a try.
A wrench or channel lock pliers will work.
What you are really after is the trap. It should look like this:
The stars is the disposal. The x's is the pipe. The low point in the pipe is the trap, meant to catch any junk and stop gasses from making their way back up into the sink.

Oh, I didn't know that they are removable.

I am sure that I will see rice once the water is vacuumed out. I just got hom. Will do that after this post.

I did already this morning. Didn't move.

Got a pipe wrench.

Yes, mine looks that way too but I see a rubber material which I think is connected tot he silver thing on the top of the sink. Then the pipe (in your pic is xxx) connected to a piece of short pipe with two disc which is connected to the pipe going into the wall or somewhere.

I'd better look at it closely again ..