Question on house support polls

Hi,     I recently installed 2 metal house support polls.. you know the kind you put in your basement of old homes to help support floors?     Well as I was reading the directions it said to put the crank part at the top for steel and at the bottom for wood floors.. was just curious.. why is this?
~ Matt
<<     Well as I was reading the directions it said to put the crank part at the top for steel and at the bottom for wood floors.. was just curious.. why is this? >>
Supporting steel doesn't require a base plate as rigid as wood, therefore the plate welded to the tube will spread the load more effectively on wood. HTH
Joe
I have totally no clue.
However, my father the editor would have reminded you that a survey is a poll, and a vertical shaft is a pole.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus