Question on construction

I have seen a few posts on chimneys recently in this group.
What is the general rule on chimneys in terms of height ?
How much higher than the roof do they have to be ? Can they be in line with the roof ?
Is there a law on this ? especially in N. California ?
Thanks Jessica
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Found this referance for Ya http://www.fireplacesnow.com/smchinfo.asp Dean
wrote: | > Question on construction | > | > I have seen a few posts on chimneys recently in this group. | > | > What is the general rule on chimneys in terms of height ? | > | > How much higher than the roof do they have to be ? | > Can they be in line with the roof ? | > | > Is there a law on this ? especially in N. California ? | > | > Thanks | > Jessica | | Found this referance for Ya http://www.fireplacesnow.com/smchinfo.asp | Dean
chimney must be 3ft above roof line |

Make that peak.
Steve

The "law" is the Mechanical section of the Building Code.
Dean's link gives good info on the heights.
You might want to check with your local building permit department has I think CA has a requirement for spark arrestors and may have other local requirements.
Steve.

General guidelines state that the chimney must be at least 2 feet above any portion of the roof that is within 10 feet of the chimney. With a steep roof this can make for a really tall chimney. Shallow roofs can make for squatty ones.
Your local regulations may be different.
On 19 Jan 2007 21:19:47 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I don't know CA rules, but I was told the 3,2,10 rule seems general enough.
Chimney must be 3 feet high, and 2 feet higher than anything within 10 feet.
Don't hold me to this, since it was give as a quick tip, and I don't live in CA.
tom @ www.FreeCreditCheckGuide.com