Question on CAC A-coil

I have a combo furnace with an A-coil mounted on top for CAC. I turned on my unit for the first time yesterday and I was checking out the system, and I noticed that the upper part of the A-coil was not as cold as the lower part. The pipes were cold and there was condensate dripping, it just seemed that lower part was cooler. Is this normal operation? Or should the entire coil be uniformly cold?

Reply to
Mikepier

whats cac

ds549

Central air conditioning

Reply to
Mikepier

How long did it run? It goes from one end to the other at first.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

furnace with an A-coil mounted on top for CAC. I turned

I would say a good 20 minutes.

Reply to
Mikepier

The coil should be uniformly cold with all measured air temps leaving the coil very close to the same. There may not be an evenly balanced airflow heatload distributed across the coil. Partially plugged distributor or coil circuits.

One of the most important things there is for optimal performance, is to always have an optimal heatload evenly distributed through the E-Coil. That is a first essential to accurate refrigerant charging of the system using Superheat or Subcooling for TXVs.

udarrell

Reply to
udarrell

It's normal for the upper and lower to be a few degrees different. If part of the coil is room temp, you may be low on freon.

If it's cooling the house OK, don't worry about it. Otherwise, call a HVAC service company.

You may have to upgrade from CAC to EAC, or even FAC. The new energy standards are much higher. (grin here). I think they stopped selling BAC in 1994. (wink, wink).

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks for the info. You mentioned I might be low on freon. Would not that cause the coil to freeze up?

Reply to
Mikepier

That depends on air flow, metering device, and some other factors. I've worked on a couple systems which were low on freon, and got cool at part of the coil, and room temp at part of the coil.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon