Question -- Motion Sensor Light

I'm sorry to bother y'all with this question, but in searching past postings, I found some that were close, but not quite what I need to know.

I recently installed a new Brinks security light (model 7010) and added another halogen-light fixture via junction boxes and 20 feet of conduit. I connected the second unit to the first using wire-nuts on: white:white, black:black and green:green. The second light works when turned on manually (via toggle light switch) but the Brinks unit does not and the motion sensor does not seem to work.

What have I done wrong?

Any advice you can provide would be most appreciated. Lee

Reply to
Lee

Hi, Be logical in trouble-shooting. Is the unit working if the additional light is removed? Start from this point. If the original bulb was say

60W, make 30W and another 30W as well.
Reply to
Tony Hwang

I'm not familiar with the Brinks device, however, the first thing you need to be sure of, is that the rated wattage of the unit is not exceeded by the addition of the light. Once you've determined that the total wattage is within the capacity of the unit, you can wire the additional light to the same set of wires feeding the other lights. Usually these devices will have three wires going to the sensor, and two wires going to each socket. All the white wires including your feed neutral, should go together. The black wire from the feed, should only go to the black wire going to the motion detector. There is usually a red wire coming from the motion detector that should be connected to the black wires of the lights, including any additional added fixtures.

Reply to
RBM

Check the directions. Sometimes the motion sensor lights need the wall switch turned on and off and on in a sequence to activate the light. That way you can turn the light off and on manually. I don't know if that halogen-light will effect that part of the motion sensor or not. Try unhooking the halogen-light.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

The motion detector will not work in day light. The light will stay off.

Reply to
Hipupchuck

Day light has nothing to do with IR detection. Good detector has sensitivity, time delay adjustment.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Most of the motion sensor lights also have a photocell to detect light so the light will not come on in the daytime. It has to be covered up to check the motion sensor in lighted areas.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery