Question for a worldly electrician

Page 1 of 2
I just saw a TV commercial. It was about two Asian girls fighting in an Asian coffee shop. At the end of the commercial one of the two girls plugs in a laptop. The outlet is shaped like the outlets we use here in America.
Do they use the same type outlets in the countries that drive on the right side of the road?
I was hoping a worldly person could answer this. I never leave the recliner. :)
Add pictures here
✖
On 4/25/2012 9:41 AM, Metspitzer wrote: ...

... One has no bearing on the other...the choices came for different reasons in different locales.
As only one example, Napoleon decreed right-hand rule in all occupied countries which follows to the day in the Low Countries, Switzerland, Germany, Italy, Poland and Spain. Not a one of them uses US-style electric outlets.
<http://www.travel-images.com/electric-plugs.html
✖
On 4/25/12 10:54 AM, dpb wrote:

here is another site with good voltage & plug info
http://kropla.com/electric2.htm
Add pictures here
✖
Metspitzer wrote:

Hiii, Asia where? Asia is big place.
Add pictures here
✖

It was a TV commercial The structure looked similar to these. https://www.google.com/search?q=asia&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=np&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=ayCYT7a4HI6u8QTw4Z2UBg&biw —8&bihr6&sei=bSCYT7aPPI2u8QSztJ2BBg#um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&channel=np&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=asia+temples&oq=asia+temples&aq=f&aqi=g1g-m1&aql=1&gs_nf=1&gs_l=img.3..0j0i5.2651.6533.0.6689.8.8.0.0.0.0.91.650.8.8.0.pfwc.1.V_bgX5S3MmY&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&fpN92a405876dbbd2&biw—8&bihr6
If you can't follow the link, turn off word wrap.
Add pictures here
✖

Japan uses outlets and switches very much like North American ones, I presume owing to the American administration following WWII, having resisted the European colonization of, oh, everywhere else. A lot of the outlets are only two-prong but apparently the three-prongs are becoming more common. Wikipedia tells us that the actual size specs are a little different but they certainly look the same.
Trivia question du jour: name another drive-on-the-left place which the US took (and retains) control of and *didn't* bother to change the road rules.
You sure the ad was set outside North America? Was there anything else that might give it away? Money? Cars? Skinny little cans of Coke or a bottle of Calpis?
Chip C
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 08:54:22 -0700, Chip C wrote:

Across the whole country? I thought that half of it was still 50Hz AC and half 60Hz (presumably for "historical reasons"), so I'm surprised that there aren't different outlet styles for each (not that the frequency difference should matter in most cases, but there will be a few exceptions)
Add pictures here
✖

Hah... You can actually get Calpis here, but it's rebranded "Calpico" I can't imagine why.
nate
Add pictures here
✖

Japan uses the regular NEMA 5-15 we have here. That is a legacy of the US occupation.
Add pictures here
✖

"Types in present use" was very informative at a glance. There seems to be less of a standard than I expected.
Add pictures here
✖

Parts of Japan and Korea use the american style parallel blade outlets, for sure. Not sure about anywhere else in Asia
Add pictures here
✖
On 4/25/2012 9:41 AM, Metspitzer wrote:

This was an American commercial, and you are worried about its authenticity? I mean, the whole thing is a fake, probably including what ever they were advertising, so why should they try to make it right? I think I saw a small amount of that commercial, but I have no idea to what they were advertising.
Bill
Add pictures here
✖

For the record, I am not worried about anything. Did you read the part about never having to leave the recliner?
Add pictures here
✖
On 4/25/2012 10:41 AM, Metspitzer wrote:

Can't speak about electric but it brought up driving question and here is the world chart:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Countries_driving_on_the_left_or_right.svg
Add pictures here
✖

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktmSFpXH7js

Add pictures here
✖

I love a good cat fight, but they could have prevented the fight by installing a duplex receptacle.
Add pictures here
✖
On 4/27/2012 10:27 AM, Metspitzer wrote:

OR if they had just been in the kitchen preparing dinner.
--
Steve Barker
✖

There's a thriving business in travel adapters for different sockets and plugs so that you can plug things in when you travel. Personally, I use something called "World Connect". See: (Amazon.com product link shortened) It's a bit heavy, but it's always matched the sockets in the hotel rooms in any country I've been in. The nice thing about computer power supplies and cell phone chargers these days is that they work just fine on 50-60 Hertz and 110-240 volts. Just plug them in via the adapter.
The first time I traveled to 220 volt Europe in the 1960s, I built an adjustable resistor box for my electric razor and set the output voltage by the sound of the motor. It was amazing that the motor didn't get fried.
Tomsic
Add pictures here
✖

In some cases yes. In my laptop bag I have a power strip that I purchased at a Lawson's (basically a Japanese 7-11) in Tokyo when I found that the only recep in my hotel room was too far away from the bed to comfortably surf while lounging. My understanding is that in some places in Japan the power/receps may be different but I haven't been to any of them.
Add pictures here
✖

I have a 9 ft drop cord I keep in my laptop case.
Add pictures here
✖