question: allergies in house

x-no-archive: yes

Two of us (in different bedrooms) keep waking up with allergies and headaches. We have oil / hot water radators (not steam).

Did we forget to clean something out ? I got a carbon monoxide detector, but it hasn't gone off. Can it be really low level carbon monoxide ?

What else besides the heating system affects two different bedrooms?

Thanks

Reply to
4

Mold

How long have you lived there? Is this the first year you've experienced it? How old is the house? Do you run the oil burner at night? If so, try a night without. House built on slab? Crawlspace? Evidence of moisture outside/inside? If you bring a stranger in the house, do they notice odors?

Play detective.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Does your Co detector have a digital display with high memory , is it old, they dont last.

Reply to
m Ransley

There is a new Nighthawk out it also measures Net gas leaks a nice feature. Low level constant Co is bad and wont alarm many meters. Co is bad especialy for smokers

Reply to
m Ransley

25 years

It's been about 2 years

50 yrs

sometimes

Doesn't seem to matter

Not the whole house, but there is a basement

In the attic I guess

in the basement

Reply to
4

If its not Co its probably mold allergies. Reduce basement moisture and kill the mold with bleach, a room air filter should help.

Reply to
m Ransley

Agreed. You may get relief by using a "good" room air filtration unit. Check Consumer Reports. Of course, the real fix is going to be eliminating the moisture causing any growth.

Do some GOOGLE searches on mold, allergy, health, etc.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Wait a minute. Mold grows best at/or greater than 55%. I see this as a situation in which there is inadequate information. But in spite of that, I'll offer a suggestion.

I'll bet humidity is low, mold not being the factor. The allergens are in the air, your throat and sinuses are dry or nearly so, your body tries to get rid of the allergens by histamine delivery which among other things causes mucous production, but because of the low humidity, the mucous is thick and tenacious, and has the allergens in it as well. Thus your body is unable to clear them well, and continues to be exposed to the same crap, suspended in the mucous. I suggest running an ultrasonic humidifier with soft water or rain water, so that bedroom humidity runs about

45%.

Wouldn't be surprised if you had an upset stomach from it every so often, either. And it's > >

Reply to
Michael Baugh

Reply to
Jane

I asked my doctor about getting a humidifier because the heater at night is drying my sinuses. The doctor said that a humidifier would increase mold. The doc said to put some pots of water out and reduce the heat a bit.

Reply to
Sennin

heaters dont dry air ,, raising temp does. mold is only a concern with high humidities or stagnant moisture. Your doctor is a bozo

Reply to
m Ransley

Doctor said put pots of water out without verifying humidity levels. With a calibrated humidistat...... BOZO DOC ,, BOZO Diagnosis

Reply to
m Ransley

Sheesh..find a new Doctor and get a humidifier that has a humidistat on it. If you are concerned about mold, make sure you dont get a mist type humidifier, and add a UV-C band unit on the return side of the airhandler, or furnace.

Reply to
CBhvac

And, there are saline nasal sprays to use to keep your nose hydrated. Can provide some relief, especially if the dry air is causing nosebleeds, too.

The doc is a dolt, if he thinks humidifying the air will "increase mold". You need a hygrometer to see HOW humid or dry it really is in your house, to start. Have you actually been TESTED for mold allergies?

Reply to
barb gee

Damn. You guys need to get lifes.

Reply to