Question about well tank

I already know I will need a bigger pump if I install an irrigation system.
How do I know if I need to upgrade my well tank? I don't even know what the thing does, anyway. :)

The tank is to keep the pump from constantly turning off and on every time you open a faucet and wearing out fast. The tank keeps a reservoir of water under pressure.
How do you know you need a larger pump? Do you know that your well is capable of giving the water you will be asking for?