Question about toilet tank leak

This toilet has been dry and out of use for several months and is about two years old. After reconnecting it with a new seal and the cold water line tight with no leaks, it leaks like a gushing river whenever flushed.

It's fine sitting with a tank full of water - no leaks at all. But the minute the toilet is flushed, what a mess of water on the floor.

Which seal/gasket do I need to replace?

Reply to
Me

Did you scrape up all the old wax and put a new wax ring down before placing the toilet on the floor?

I have had some luck reusing wax if it's not too old but you still have to scrape it back into a ring so it can be pressed down again. Since a wax ring is only a couple bucks it's not worth it unless you've got no other reason to make a supply run.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Also, warm the ring to a bit above room temperature so it's more flexble to seat around the little nooks and crannies. It almost sounds like there is NO wax ring there, or, the wax ring isn't being compressed when the toilet is set on it. That wax ring being right is the most important part of the process.

HTH,

Twayne`

Reply to
Twayne

Yes, the seal area was cleaned thoroughly and dried. For the price of a new wax seal, it seems false economy to me to try and rescue the old one unless it's only been down a very short while. But that's not where the problem lies.

The leak is coming from the bottom of the water tank (above the toilet) itself. There are two screws that attach the tank to the toilet but they don't seem to be causing a problem because when the tank is full of water, everything's fine, no leaks at all.

But the minute the toilet is flushed, water pours out from beneath the tank itself, onto the floor.

Quite frankly I think that main - is it called an overflow pipe, needs to be replaced. Am I right?

Reply to
Me

I had a similar problem last year when I re-did my bathroom (leak at bottom of tank at the big opening). I bought all new innards, installed them correctly, but the problem persisted.

Finally, out of frustration, I pulled it apart and let it dry next to a heater for a day or two. Then I reassembled the innards, but I used some silicone sealant to help it out. I was not expecting this to work, since I didn't think that they silicone would stick to either the plastic or the gasket, but it has held up fine in the year since.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

I just had the same thing happen. The gasket between the tank and the bowl blew out. Ten Bux at Home Despot.

Reply to
clare

water control (float) and gasket. I had bought just the gasket, but when I pulled the tank I decided no use putting THAT crap back in place - so went and got the whole kit and returned the gasket.

Reply to
clare

Red Green wrote in news:Xns9E48C5A8F39A9RedGreen@69.16.185.252:

I live in Canada as well, and I have never paid anywhere close to $46 to fix ANY toilet.

Hardware stores here (including Home Depot) have all sorts of very cheap parts for all brands and models of toilets, all of which are identical to US toilets.

Reply to
Tegger

There is supposed to be a foam gasket around the center outlet on the bottom of the tank. Your's must be missing or distorted. Take the tank off and check it. Lowes has just the foam gasket for a dollar or so.

Reply to
jamesgangnc