Does stucco exterior requires painting every 5-7 years in Florida?

I donno. If you are talking about this:

Made perfect sense to me. Sorry you painted yours.

I noticed there is a Portland cement paint you could of used. I've never seen it.

The cost of recoating a house with stucco (aprox 2700 sq ft) *was*, about 4 years ago, around $2k. After it's been painted I have no idea. As far as sandblasting goes I'm not sure if that's how they take it off. Maybe they use a chemical remover.

Reply to
Billy Pilgrim

Please read:

If you still have that stick up ur ass:

Billy Pilgrim

T'other wun, o' corse... :)

Reply to
dpb

What side?

Reply to
Oren

u really are a dumb ass. read stupid!

Reply to
Billy Pilgrim

The OP asked about experience with stucco, not some stuff about bobvilla or you tub.

Also, stop trying to be nasty. Your experience?!!

Reply to
Oren

Hey Dummy, Tell me what side, but I'm more interested in your stucco experience.

Yet to be explained.

Reply to
Oren

That's why we in Florida paint it.

Oh, a few - very few - diehards will have had "color in" stucco applied but the stucco people don't much like to do it...too many variables. If it HAS been done AND if it need "freshening" AND if you don't want to paint then the only option is to redo the stucco.

There are only three choices...

  1. "Color in" stucco
  2. Paint (or other surface covering)
  3. Leave it a pretty cement grey ______________

How long paint looks good depends on the quality of the paint. Even the worst paint would look good for more than a couple of years. _______________

No just prepped (cleaned, usually pressure washed) and re-painted. ______________

You are clueless.

Reply to
dadiOH

i love how homemoaners always think they know whats right even when confrounted with uncontrovertable evidence.

paint ur stucco. go ahead fools

Reply to
Billy Pilgrim

No "treatment" is necessary. How often it needs to be painted depends primarily on the quality of the paint used; weathering and sun fading are other variables but they are pretty uniform throughout the state.

My house (central Florida) was painted when new in 1996 with a medium grade paint. The paint is still in good shape except for some fading. Fortunately, the fading is uniform so NP. I'll probably repaint in 3-5 years.

There is usually no problem with cracks in stucco over block unless there is differential settling. However, stucco over wood portions (such as gable ends, etc.) of a block house will tend to get a few hairline cracks early on (within a year or two). Those are easily fixed by rubbing some caulk over them and repainting the area. Once fixed, new ones don't often occur IME.

Reply to
dadiOH

oh...go paint ur stucco ;)

And please don't try to learn anything because I do believe you know everything there is to know.

what an ass!

Reply to
Billy Pilgrim

Declare your evidence, without bobvilla.

I love how you troll, try to envoke arguement and can't even back it up. You know, stucco experience.

Get out of the thread, without your experince others will be better off.

Reply to
Oren

Dang! You are smart. :-)))

Waiting on Billy's experience with stucco.....

Reply to
Oren

I lived on the other side of Florida for 16 years. Our development had a painter under contract. Every five years he patced the cracks and then painted the entire structure. Never had to have the surface re-stuccoed.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Uh..right off the bat I said I wasn't an expert..... little group moderator. I referenced a well written article by a well respected home repair authority. I posted the link probably 4 or 5 times. Can you read? What part of the article do you think is BS? Why don't you take it up with them if you are such an authority? I said I can't find a thing in the article I disagree with. I didn't know about the dry rot which just strengthens my argument. Also, I didn't know about the Portland cement paint. Gee...I read; and I learned something. Lets all try it.

Now settle down little man.

Reply to
Billy Pilgrim

that's what i thought.............little c*ck sucker.

Reply to
Billy Pilgrim

I happen to be in the middle of having my stucco house repainted right now (it was painted when the house was built), and I'll tell you that my old paint lasted pretty well over the 13 years it's been on. The one realization I've had about painting on stucco is that

*eventually*--lacking the facts, I'm guessing over the course of a century of repainting--the paint build-up will fill in the nooks and crannies and then the exposed surface of the house will no longer be stucco.
Reply to
Harlan Messinger

Harlan Messinger wrote: ...

What paint is/was used and where located, what type of stucco?

--

Reply to
dpb

Congratulation!!

Both have both been nominated for one of the alt.usenet.kooks awards in the "most useless advice in an alt. group" category.

Nominees:

#1 Oren snipped-for-privacy@cox.net

"The same type I use. Sprayed on the stucco" (Referring to latex paint on stucco.)

#2 dadiOH snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net

"No "treatment" is necessary. How often it needs to be painted depends primarily on the quality of the paint used...." (Same as above)

You'll be contacted with the results

Good Luck!

Reply to
Billy Pilgrim

I have been in a stucco house in Florida for 25 years and my wife built about 200 stucco houses over the last decade. DaDio and Oren were the only ones I saw in this thread talking about stucco directly over block, the way most Florida houses are built. There is nothing under the stucco to rot unless they did stucco the gable ends. Some houses even have masonry gable ends. These days gables are not that popular tho. They like hips better because there isn't that big flat surface to catch the wind. Just about the only place you see stucco over wood is where they framed up a porch canopy or something. As for the painting, a good exterior latex will get you 10 or 15 years. A lot of older houses may have white stucco with no paint on it at all that held up 40 years but the white tends to get gray and streaky. That was the way this house was when I bought it 25 years ago and it was 20 years old then. Pressure cleaning got it better but my wife hates white so we painted it., Now I am stuck painting,

Reply to
gfretwell