Question About Stucco

I donno. If you are talking about this:
http://www.bobvila.com/HowTo_Library/Refinishing_Stucco-Stucco_Walls-A2557.html
Made perfect sense to me. Sorry you painted yours.
I noticed there is a Portland cement paint you could of used. I've never seen it.
The cost of recoating a house with stucco (aprox 2700 sq ft) *was*, about 4 years ago, around $2k. After it's been painted I have no idea. As far as sandblasting goes I'm not sure if that's how they take it off. Maybe they use a chemical remover.

If you buy stucco be sure its the real stuff, there is synthetic stucco which has had alot of issues because it doesnt breath well and any leak can cause mold behind it. Stucco unpainted may last 30-40 years before a recoat is needed, painted stucco has to be repainted but done right may last 20 years, stucco can be washed, 5-7 years is not necessary to just make it look good. Stucco is low maintenance

Good and important advice. A lot of new stucco is what's called EIFS. Do a google and you'll find lots of info. Construction done 20 years ago was the worst, but as I understand it, there can be problems with rot even in construction done much more recently.
I went to an open house recently where one of the features of the new stucco house was a moisture monitoring system. They actually have moisture sensors built into the exterior walls. I call this the the "Your f..d" alarm, because when it indicates there is moisture, while there may not be rot yet, it most likely isn't going to be cheap to fix either.
There are inspectors that are expert in stucco houses, checking for moisture, rot, etc. Be sure to get one on any EIFS stucco house you're planning on buying.

I lived in homes in Fl with stucco over block walls and now live in NV with wood frame construction and stucco.
No problems.. fresh paint never hurts..:)

Different climate, but my stucco house in Chicago is unpainted and has been maintenance-free for the 13 years we have owned the house. I believe the people who owned the house before us had some areas patched, as I recall when we first moved in you could just barely tell where the patches were. Now I don't notice / can't tell. I would not be surprised if that were the only maintenance since the house was built in 1914.
BrianInNY wrote:

No "treatment" is necessary. How often it needs to be painted depends primarily on the quality of the paint used; weathering and sun fading are other variables but they are pretty uniform throughout the state.
My house (central Florida) was painted when new in 1996 with a medium grade paint. The paint is still in good shape except for some fading. Fortunately, the fading is uniform so NP. I'll probably repaint in 3-5 years.
There is usually no problem with cracks in stucco over block unless there is differential settling. However, stucco over wood portions (such as gable ends, etc.) of a block house will tend to get a few hairline cracks early on (within a year or two). Those are easily fixed by rubbing some caulk over them and repainting the area. Once fixed, new ones don't often occur IME.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Sounds like the cheap way out.

Billy,
Please enlighten the group with your stucco experience. I've lived in, owned, numerous homes with stucco..even currently.
Tell us one time you've seen stucco torn from a house.

Please read:
http://www.bobvila.com/HowTo_Library/Refinishing_Stucco-Stucco_Walls-A2557.html
If you still have that stick up ur ass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCTW5KseBxk

The OP asked about experience with stucco, not some stuff about bobvilla or you tub.
Also, stop trying to be nasty. Your experience?!!

What side? <g>
Oren wrote:

T'other wun, o' corse... :)

u really are a dumb ass. read stupid!

Hey Dummy, Tell me what side, but I'm more interested in your stucco experience.
Yet to be explained.

i love how homemoaners always think they know whats right even when confrounted with uncontrovertable evidence.
paint ur stucco. go ahead fools

Declare your evidence, without bobvilla.
I love how you troll, try to envoke arguement and can't even back it up. You know, stucco experience.

Get out of the thread, without your experince others will be better off.

Uh..right off the bat I said I wasn't an expert..... little group moderator. I referenced a well written article by a well respected home repair authority. I posted the link probably 4 or 5 times. Can you read? What part of the article do you think is BS? Why don't you take it up with them if you are such an authority? I said I can't find a thing in the article I disagree with. I didn't know about the dry rot which just strengthens my argument. Also, I didn't know about the Portland cement paint. Gee...I read; and I learned something. Lets all try it.
Now settle down little man.

that's what i thought.............little cock sucker.

I live in the Tampa Bay area and my house was built in 1983. We bought the house in 1992 and painted it about 1998. We have the concrete block covered in stucco type.....anyway, it had been painted at least once when we acquired the house. When we painted we had to put on two coats - we used plain old latex paint...can't remember the brand but I bought it at Home Depot. Stucco finished houses tend to "suck up" the paint. We used white paint (same color as before) and we needed two coats. Our neighbors have same type houses and at least one hired painters to paint their house. The painters used sprayers (as opposed to rollers) and it looks nice.