Question About Shock Absorbers

I'm talking about the shocks on the "stair stepper" exercise machine but they seem to be the same as those on a car. Anyway, what causes shocks to wear out, to lose their resistance, when there's no evidence of fluid leakage? Thanks.
You are probably not talking about an oil filled shock absorber like your car's undercarriage has. You are talking about a gas strut filled with an inert gas (probably nitrogen) often used on tool box lids, station wagon rear doors. When the gas escaped, you didn't see the puddle or the cloud.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
Mary wrote:

Likely the piston is plastic and it deforms or hardens.
I have a solidly built rowing machine that has that problem right now and I can't find a replacement.
George wrote:

Or they're air-cushion shocks and the seals fail so lose the resistance would more closely describe OP's symptoms...
On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 13:41:50 +0000, Mary wrote:

The valves inside wear out.
Basically they just wear out. They work by pushing air or oil through some sort or restriction. There is a piston that does the pushing and usually the seals on the piston or restriction wear and they loose their resistance. Finding replacements could be a problem, but try the company that made them.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit