Question about red electrical outlets

In some office environments, I've seen red electrical outlets, usually dedicated to computer equipment. What's different about these outlets?
A colored wallplate is often used to indicate the circuit is on a UPS system, generator, or other filtered supply.
This helps prevent people from plugging refrigerators, coffee makers etc onto them which helps prevent electrical interference on those lines.
On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 19:19:31 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

Red outlets are ones which are attached to an emergency backup power system.
Commodore Joe Redcloud
Commodore Joe Redcloud wrote:

Yes, and let me add a note from my own experience: at several hospitals that I've worked at, the red outlets are fed from onsite generators during grid outages, but the cutover is not instantaneous; when the grid goes down you can expect the red outlets to be dead for some number of seconds until the generators stabilize. Further, at one place I worked, they "tested" the system one day each week at 07:00, which involved a few seconds of outage as the red circuits were cut over to the generators and then again a while later as they were switched back to the grid. Apparently this is well-tolerated by the medical equipment that's plugged into them (much of which I believe has integral battery power, like a laptop does) but you can guess the effect this had on my computers that I'd carefully made sure were all plugged into red outlets. We soon had them on UPSs.
Chip C Toronto

In addition to the red as mentioned in the other replies, you may also come across orange outlets, these have a dedicated ground wire that goes directly to the panel. This is to keep noise out of sensitive electronics like you would find in hospitals.
Kevin

This is sort of what I was wondering about: Noise. I play in a band, and although I've mostly seen these red/orange outlets in offices, I ran across just ONE box with red or orange plugs at a bar last week. Couldn't make out the color in the bad light, from a distance in the audience. And, there were just two plugs, so I suspect the place never expected to have more than a solo act plugging in equipment.
On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 19:19:31 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

These are dedicated circuts. Usually supplied with power during outages and most have surge and gfci's incorperated in them Anthony
................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<< -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-