Question about re-staining building /w solid-color stain

I live in a condo. The buildings in my development all have wood siding and the association has always used a "solid color stain" which, to me, looks the same as paint. Over time, older stain peels off the way paint peels off.
They are in the process of re-staining a few of the buildings. It appears (without my watching their every move) that they first using a pressure washer to remove any peeling stain and then as much as week later, the are applying (spraying) a brand new coat of stain over the siding which still contains older stain (since...my understanding is that the pressure washing does not remove all the old stain...only what was on the verge of peeling) They are using sprayers to apply the new coat of stain.
Is the above the correct procedure for re-staining, or are they supposed to strip off ALL of the old stain before applying new stain?
The reason I'm asking is there have been problems with peeling stain on a couple of RECENTLY re-stained buildings.
Thanks.
JY

The only way to get ALL of the old stain off would be to take the siding with it.
[...]
jaynews wrote:

Pretty tough to determine what is right without knowing the products they are using (old and the new applications)...can you find out and post more info?
If some newly stained surfaces are peeling, be sure to let your condo board know - phone call followed by certified letter. Trust me :o)
I have seen acryllic paint peel off previously transparent stained wood, which was probably an oil stain based on building quality and age. Pressure washing is pretty standard for concrete block/stucco and for wood with loose finish. Takes greater care with wood to prevent damage, and takes time for adequate drying prior to priming/painting.
Stain wont peel if done right, most likely it was stained in the sun or on a hot surface, or just to hot out. Read a can label and call any manufacturer, surface temp is critical. If it is peeling washing is one step scraping is another. For the paint they are using call the store or company and get out the representative, we cant see it, but this is common to have done. What brand stain is being used.

The application is OK if everything is dry, cleaned etc. If the washing leaves stain that is not showing a peel, but is lose, it will peel again shortly. After the washing a prudent person would wire brush or scrape anything still loose.