Question about Operation of Trane XR-11 A/C Unit

I moved into a newly renovated condo about 5 months ago in Boston. It has an XR-11 A/C Unit for central air. About two weeks ago, I finally turned it on, and though some air was being sucked through the air filter, there was no noticable air coming out of the vents. I left the A/C running for more than 6 hours, and there was no change in the indoor temp.

When I talked to the seller, he said that it takes days to cool the place down when you first turn on the A/C. However, I noticed that the fan outside does not turn when I turn the A/C on, but he said that this was normal. I have checked all of the circuit breakers and all of them are fine.

Is this normal? Is there something wrong with my A/C unit?

Please help me. I am at my wit's end and my wife and I want our A/C running.

thanks, Susheem

Reply to
susheemg

It is normal , wait a week you will cool.

Reply to
m Ransley

Call a repairman to check out the system. While you wait, get an inexpensive outdoor thermometer at the nearest hardware store. Using that thermometer, determine what the condo temp is early in the morning after sunrise. That will be your coolest temperature. Your unit should be able to reduce that reading by about

20 degrees. The no-output-air sounds like leak>I moved into a newly renovated condo about 5 months ago in Boston. It
Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

Thomas,

Thanks for the quick reply. Just one more question - Should the outside fan be running continuously when the A/C is running, or does it only run intermittently.

Susheem

Thomas Kendrick wrote:

Reply to
susheemg

Assuming the fan switch on the thermostat (if there is one..) is set to 'auto' then the outside unit (the condenser) should be running anytime the inside unit (the furnace or 'air handler') is running.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

what about if I have a variable speed blower that ramps up an down? Supposedly it runs longer than the outside unit but I haven't really noticed.

Reply to
Kathy

It depends on how the VS furnance / air handler is configured. Most have options that allow the blower to ramp up / down and even stay on for a minute or two once the condenser has shut off. Note that the OP said "I noticed that the fan outside does not turn when I turn the A/C on" - this is not normal operation for any configuration.

Reply to
Travis Jordan