Question about Mikata table saw guide

I have a Mikata table saw. About a year ago i had to remove the guard in or= der to make a cut. I re installed the guard and hadn't used thar saw since.= Today, I turned it on and saw sparks. Apparently the guard didn't go on pr= operly. Tried to line it up but the thing fell appart in the process. I rem= oved it again and got my work done. My question is, Is the guard really a good safety precaution? It seems to g= et in the way and prevents me from doing some cuts. People tell me that the= first thing they do is remove the guard because it is a nuisance.=20 Just wanted to get an oppinion from this group.

Reply to
finite.guy

I'm trying to think if mine ever had one. I've been using it so long like that. Secondary protection is nice when you forget primary safety.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

to make a cut. I re installed the guard and hadn't used thar saw since. Today, I turned it on and saw sparks. Apparently the guard didn't go on properly. Tried to line it up but the thing fell appart in the process. I removed it again and got my work done.

in the way and prevents me from doing some cuts. People tell me that the first thing they do is remove the guard because it is a nuisance.

Guards are a hot topic on the woodworking newsgroup. Personally, mine is in place. At least half the guys take them off though.

More important, keep the fence properly aligned, use push sticks, keep your hands far away from the blade, do not raise the blade too high.

If you are not sure of what the result may be, don't make the cut.

I don't know your experience or skill level, but if on the shy side, be sure you know proper technique for using the saw. Learn about kickback and how it can be prevented.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My guard installs easily and accurately with a single thumbscrew. Since the kickback pawls and splitter are part of the guard, I use it as long as it won't impact the cut.

Obviously it can't be used for cuts like dadoes or with a sled, but for any cut where the guard can be used, I use it.

If your guard "fell apart in the process" of being installed, then it must have been a piece of crap. I've tossing mine around the shop for years and it always slips right back in place and never gives me any trouble.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

New brand, Mikata?

Christ> I have a Mikata table saw.