Question about labour charges for furnace and C/A

Hi,
I've gotten a quote from Sears Canada for a new furnace w/Air cleaner and central air. I was a bit shocked at the labour charges, so I thought I'd ask around to see what is reasonable. Here's the deal:
Mid eff. furnace with variable DC motor: ~1700 Labour: ~1600 Air Cleaner: 470 Labour ~300 AC ~1900 Labour: ~650
All prices in $CAN.
An important thing to note:
We do NOT currently have C/A We do already have a gas furnace.
Any opinions or similar experiences? I do realize it's very difficult to offer an opinion on an installation you're not familiar with, but I was just wondering, ballpark, if these figures seemed out of whack.
Thanks!
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com
Andrew,
As you are from Canada (cold climate), take a look at High Eficiency furnaces - if you will buy furnace before sept 1, 2004, you can apply for rebate of 350$. This will be 200$ after Sep 1,2004. Most prices I got were not split by labor and parts - they give you price installed. I was surprised, that best quote and service I got was from Direct Energy. Guy was really good, no pushing and explained everything. They also gave 5years waranty on parts and labour; other quotes I got offered just 5 years on parts and 1 year on labour.
Regards
Forgot to tell: Quotes I got for Hight Efficiency Carrier Infinity 96 (DC motor, variable speed) furnace were: 4100-4500$. That is price for installed equipment in Toronto area. Then I'll get 350$ back from my utility company.

I had initially received just the total price, but was curious what the breakdown would be since you see the cheapo ads in local papers for close to half the cost. So it was only at my request that I received that info.
Incidentally, the warranty for this system was 10yrs parts and labour! I liked that part of it. I should, however, get Direct Energy in for a quote too. I was thinking of getting a quote from Home Depot as well.
Thanks for the tip on the high efficiency rebate!!
BTW, are you aware of the Energuide evaluation and it's rebate potential? If you haven't already had your installation (although it sounds as though you have), look into that as well.
Andrew

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

I'd suggest also getting a quote or two from some dedicated HVAC contractors. The "brand name" stores (Sears, HD, etc) generally just contract out with a local installer anyway, so you will probably get a better deal (and likely better service) going direct with a reputable HVAC contractor.
As always, check references, BBB membership, and so on to ensure you're dealing with a good contractor. You'll almost certainly get a better deal than what Sears is charging you.
Regards,
George Wenzel
--
George Wenzel, B.A. (Criminology)
E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@recursor.invalid
Andrew wrote:

I agree that the labor prices seems a bit high - almost like they were flat rate for each of the installation options (i.e. air cleaner, A/C, etc.). Get a few competitive quotes, and be sure to let the other contractors know that you want to do ALL of the installations at one time.
Also, be sure you get a heat gain / loss calculation (AKA "Manual J") done to be sure that the A/C and new furnace are correctly sized.