Question about Kilz?

We have oak paneling with a glossy surface. It is very time consuming to try and sand an entire room and all of the grooves on the picture frame molding before painting over it. Will Kilz primer allow me to skip the process of sanding? Thanks.
Joe

Yes and / or no. If the wood needs sanding to smooth it, then Kiltz or some other liquid sandpaper will not help at all.
If all you want to do is remove the slick sheen so paint will adhere, then Kiltz and most any other liquid sandpaper will do the job.
Bob
I would use a liquid deglosser then the Kilz.
I believe Kilz Primer is a primer/sealer, not a degloser.
Walt Conner

I painted my wainscoting. I sanded first, but only very lightly, just enough so that the primer (Kilz) would adhere. Really only a very light sanding with a sanding block. Then the Kilz, then the paint.
Worked fine and looks good.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

Forgot to say that I wouldn't worry too much about the picture frame moulding. If you're not going to handle it or bump it, you won't have the problem of the Kilz not adhereing. (Or peeling off.)
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

No. A good paint job is all about preparation. Wash the surface with TSP and rinse two times. All you need is a light sanding which is an easier task than the washing/rinsing procedure. Read and follow the directions on the can.
If the surface is free of grease, and if you have adequate ventilation while doing the job, I'd put aside the Kilz and go with white pigmented shellac. No deglossing, no sanding. Be aware that it is flammable so turn off all sources of ignition.
Bob

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 03:07:02 GMT, "rck"

Uh Bob? Know what Kilz is?... White pigmented Shellac. Ok it may have more 'stuff' in it that makes it "kilz'. but thats basically all it is.

To the original poster- As I believe someone else said- Use a liquid de-glosser. AFTER you washed & RINSED well with TSP.
Didn't know it was shellac. Any Kilz I ever used sure didn't smell like alcohol and Kilz is a lot thicker. A quart of white pigmented shellac will do an entire room. I never got that kind of distance with Kilz. Perhaps Kilz grinds up the lac bugs into a different solvent? I just checked my can of Kilz and it doesn't list the solvent.
Bob

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 01:16:10 GMT, "rck"

BIN is a pigmented shellac.
Kilz is something different, but it may contain some shellac.
Barry

No, not necessarily. Kilz makes many different primers, and the odds that he has a shellac are actually not that good.
On 15 Apr 2004 14:50:34 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (jeffc) wrote:

I stand corrected.