Question about installing gutters

It's more of a problem to successfully seal a leaking gutter that's already in place. I'd take it down and reseal the joint. Apply the sealant liberally and wipe off the stuff that squeezes out.

RicodJour

I'm installing aluminum gutters on my house. It's my first try at this and I have a problem.

I've put up the first inside miter box and connected to the gutters with slip-in connectors. I've already bolted it to the facia board and hate to take it down.

My problem is the connectors leak when I pour water in it to test. I first used the tube type gutter sealant and am now trying the tape-peel on type. it's still leaking.

Any idea would be greatly appreciated.

Jack

Reply to
Jack Fuller

On 8/28/2005 11:40 AM US(ET), Jack Fuller took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

I don't know what type gutters and connectors you are using, but if the connectors are the two piece type that are riveted together, put a bead of caulk into the slot between the two pieces before sticking the gutter or corner pieces into it. Wipe off any excess afterwards.

Reply to
willshak

This is the general type I'm using. Not the brand. I got mine at Lowes and it's aluminum. It's one piece but with overlapping inner lips.

Gary James

The norm around here is to hang your gutter, then seal ALL the joints with caulk from the inside (no caulk is visible from the outside)

Reply to
Rudy

I know this is probably too late for you but others may find this interesting...

When I needed gutters all around on my house I priced out the materials from lowes, HD, etc. I then called in 3 companies to give estimates. believe it or not having seamless gutters installed, in a color that matched my pain scheme, was CHEAPER that buying the stuff for DIY!!!

I had the same experience with insulation on an addition to my house (I was building it my self). I got some quotes from insulation guys and priced it out my self from suppliers. Installed, in 1/2 day, by a pro was a few dollars cheaper than my materials cost. Plus it was done in 1/2 day versus a day or two to do it myself!

I have installed cutters myself and I'm capable. Its just some things are so darn cheap to contract out. Or, is it the other way, the big chains have marked up the prices of some materials soo much that the DIYs are getting screwed?

Here is a fun one - Price out 1 cubic yard of concrete. Price it out at Lowes and HD. You can buy any size bag they sell. What did you come up with? Now call you local concrete guy. What does he charge, delivered (wet of course)?

There are many more examples where DIYs are getting screwed but I digress too much.

Reply to
No

I would be curious to know where you live. Here in the Northeast, the price of labor is so high (especially in the upper middle class suburbs :), that I can't imagine that DIY gutters or insulation would be cheaper than installed.

Reply to
blueman

I agree. Don?t waste your time installing gutters. I just had new ones installed, 2.50$ per foot. Done, forget about it. ?

And they are seamless long lengths, nice pitch, I didn?t have to go to the box store and search through pieces and parts.

TP

Reply to
TP

It is labor that makes the difference. You are comparing a couple guys pooping out a long strip of seamless from a roll of aluminim and nailing it up to dozens of Home Depot (and other suppliers) handling lots of little pieces. The handling cost of the DIY stuff is what kills you. A DIY installation uses 10' sections with a buttload of connectors, hangers and glue. When you are done you still end up with gutters that have lots of seams to leak. A guy with a gutter machine on the truck is always the way to go if you have more than a few feet of gutter to do.

Reply to
gfretwell