Question about high efficiency Furnace Exhaust

Page 2 of 2

I had a high efficiency gas furnace in my Toronto home and the vent was directly below my dining room window. I had no issues with window icing but ice did build-up on the PVC pipe itself during sharply cold weather. It wasn't a serious or frequent problem and it was easy to knock off with your boot.
Cheers, Paul

Pep wrote:

The condensed water is acidic, so if nothing else drains in there and it is cast iron or copper, could very slowly eat it up. My condinsigs at work drain outside, and I get a huge icicle in the winter. They changes it to drain into my slop sink and I keep a bag of marble chips under it in the hope of neutralizing it somewhat. It does eat the rocks away...

Under no conditions let this idiot inside your house again

No, and no.
Actually the condensing furnace exhaust has less moisture in it than the standard[remember the drain?]

I have had a high efficiency furnace for over 20 years, one of the first ones. It exhausts out the side of my basement wall with a "tee" on the end of the pipe to split the exhaust up and down. While there is a cloud of condensation when it is running, it creates no problems, sometimes a small mound of ice on the ground below. It is in a corner of an "L" and does not cause icing on the walls around it. Check other installers, that one doesn't want to install the high-efficiency furnace, probably because he has not learned how to do it properly, which is bad because they have been around for 25 years.

That's because he is uninformed of the benefits and doesn't understand the technologies behind the 90+ unit.
I'm glad to see you decided on the 90+ unit. Your pocket book with thank you later. :-)

Certainly in Calgary... I would just point out for the lurkers that the difference in cost between the 80 and 90+ furnaces in the less extreme parts of the continent can make the payback a long, long time. YMMV.