Question about hanging light fixtures

Hi,
We used to have a light/fan fixture and we now removed and want to hang a single light fixture which is quite heavy (40+lb) and is meant to hang on a hook like a plant basket.
When we removed the fan, we were left with this:
http://www.math.drexel.edu/~pg/holeinwall.jpg
Two questions.
1. How did they install (through such a small hole) that metal piece (that is attached to the two beams on either side) that used to hold the fan?
2. How can I somehow use this setup to hang my light fixture or do I necessarily need to screw my hood into a beam?
Thanks!
Aaron Fude

In your picture: No junction box? Just a hole in the ceiling and wires sticking out?
Yesterday, there was a brief but informative discussion about installing a braced box for hanging something heavy. Subject line: "Removed ceiling fixture, now what?"
Check it out.