question about hail

Page 2 of 2
On 5/23/2011 6:19 PM, willshak wrote: ...

Didn't say it punched hole thru, only it was broken (I think, no pictures).
But, while it is a large hail stone and (fortunately, not terribly common), I've seen hail punch completely thru 3/4" ply, the roof and/or trunk/hood of an automobile and other pretty amazing damage.
Take baseball to grapefruit size hail and put it w/ a 60-80 mph t-storm wind and it'll wreak true havoc.
The last one like that here (SW KS) was in '04 or '05 -- it blew strongly enough that hail shredded the siding on the Sonic drive-in building 3 ft off the ground -- that much of a windblown angle under the drivein canopies.
An empty apartment in the assisted living complex where mother was at the time had picture window broken out (there were essentially _no_ surviving windows on either the east or north side of any building in the entire northern 2/3-rds of town). Since was empty was no furniture to stop it; it came in so nearly horizontal it made holes thru sheetrock on west wall approx 8-ft away...
I've had an insurance adjuster was going over the damage to the church with after that tell me he actually saw concrete sidewalks cracked in one location.
dpb wrote the following:

That's why I said large and heavy. Here, baseball sized hail will dent the hell out of any car's top, hood and trunk lid, and metal building roofs, but will bounce off a shingled covered roof. I still don't think just hail would crack 2 x 6 lumber under shingles. Of course, if a hurricane or tornado was involved, that would exceed the factor other than just gravity. But, let's wait for the OP to tell us how big the hail was.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 5/23/2011 9:52 PM, willshak wrote: ...

Isn't tuba, it's 1x. And, if there were knot or other structural defect already, it's surely not out of question to break.
As noted, I've personally seen it go clean thru 3/4" ply and leave clean holes...cracking a 1x ain't much different.
But, again, sure, depends on the actual hail and the storm as well as the condition of the roof to begin with...
All I'm sayin' is I can believe it could be from the hail not that it definitely was.
dpb wrote the following:

Yes, I read that, but just wrote tuba by mistake. I have 4x8 3/4 plywood under my roof shingles. We've had small meteorites go through 3/4 plywood roofs, but not hail. I have an electronic shield over my roof, so I'm impervious. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 5/23/2011 11:03 PM, willshak wrote: ...

W/ all the weather we have out here, the last meteor of size to do anything notable was estimated at 20,000 years ago. :) It, otoh, left a debris field folks have dug something like a known 6/7 tons of material out of since first piece was discovered around 1900...
The electronic shield is only good for helicopters, no? :)

I think whether or not a baseball sized hailstone could crack a 1x6 piece of roof sheathing without punching a hole through the shingles or felt paper of the roof has more to do with the condition of said board before the hailstone hit it...
If it was old and dried out and ready to crumble all on its own the impact could have splintered it without damaging the rest of the roof...
Sort of like how if you have de-mineralized bones, you might suffer a broken bone because of a fall or a punch when someone with stronger bones would not experience the same result...
~~ Evan

The hail varied in size, with the largest I found being racquet ball size, inbetween golf ball and tennis ball. Totaled my car, broke the chimney cap, ruined the ridge cap, but the shingles do not look that bad, even though they are not the dimensional type, just regular 3 tab algae resistant shingles, 7 years old.
I will definitely go for a complete roof and attic inspection and get the tear off, plus ask about the plywood over the 1x6's whenever a roofer can actually get out here. Thanks for all the feedback,
itchy

Hail within the same storm can be different diameters.
Steve
On Mon, 23 May 2011 11:13:21 -0700 (PDT), internaughtfull

Did you ever look at these boards in the attic before the hail? Thay may already have been broken from when the shingles were nailed on. That happens. The haild would have been pretty large to bust a 1x6.
I'd get pieces of 1x6 to fit between the rafters, apply construction adhesive, and use drywall screws that WILL NOT go thru both boards and make holes in shingles. Apply the glue and screws to support these boards.
Go on roof, use tar on anything that looks like it might have a hole. I'd not worry about ridge cap as long as it's doing it's job. No one is going to see the dents except roofers and you. If anything paint it a dark color and it will be less obvious. I'm assuming it's metal.
On May 24, 6:53pm, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

If you are repairing a hole in a shingle with tar, don't try to smear the tar on top. It'll just make a mess.
Instead, carefully lift the tab and apply a glob of tar to the shingle underneath the one with the hole, right where the hole will "land". When you press the offending shingle back down, the tar will fill the hole and seal it.
If you think you'll need it, apply a few daps of tar along along the sealer strip to make sure the shingle seals back down again.