Question about cutting ABS drain pipe

I'm installing a sink, faucet & garbage disposal. Got the sink in, new shut off valves, faucet installed & working, all fine so far. BUT the new sink's drain hole is in a different position that the old one, basically right above the ABS drain line as it runs under the sink to where it had attached to the old drain (new sink is single bowl, old was double). There is not enough clearance between the drain line & sink bottom to fit the disposal, so I need to re-route the drain line. There's a white ABS stub (it's white, I'm assuming it's ABS. House is about 30 years old) sticking out of the wall about 2-3 inches, not much exposed. Black plastic pipe is glued to this to form the old drain line. Ideally, I would like this old black line to "disappear", leaving the bare stub, to which I would glue a new line routed as I need. I've never dealt with this kind of pipe before. How d I remove the black section from the white stub, leaving the stub as long as possible & ready to receive the new drain? Any tips as to working with this material appreciated!

Thanks

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Correction on this. Stub out of wall is BLACK. Appeared white due to paint.

Reply to
Dan

Can't answer your question about how to deal with that pipe, but wanted to point out that it's important to be sure that the drain pipe (the one coming out of the wall) needs to be below the drain outlet of the disposal. If the drain pipe is above the disposal outlet, there will always be a level of water (sewage, really) sitting in the bottom of the disposal. This 1) stinks, and 2) rusts the innards of the disposal. Disposals weren't meant to have water sitting in them.

Your installation instructions may have mentioned this, maybe not.

Good luck, FBt

Reply to
Esther & Fester Bestertester

The black plastic pipe you talk about must be polyethelene pipe. Poly pipe can be easily cut with a hand tool designed for that purpose. It is the same type of tool used to cut any type of plastic pipe. Looks like a pair of scissors and has one sharp blade, not expensive, makes a nice square cut. Link:

If the clearance don't allow for that tool then you can use a reciprocating saw or even a hacksaw. If you decide you don't want to cut it then any kind of fittings are available for poly pipe.

Reply to
Lawrence

Thanks for the replies. I got it together using the stub sticking out of the wall which existed after I hacksawed the elbow off that was there. There was JUST enough. As Lawrence said the black pipe is PVC. 1st time I've dealt with it, the primer & glue routine (nasty stuff!) though I've seen it done countless times on home shows. Everything works great, looks great & NO LEAKS! And the disposal drain was plenty high - I had to buy an extender for the outlet tube for it to reach low enough!

Thanks again

Dan

Reply to
Dan

As Lawrence said the black pipe is PVC.

Glad you got it fixed but I did not say that. I said that it sounded like poly pipe which is quite a lot different stuff. Now that I review your post I realize that you are talking about your waste line in which case I was not right about anything. I wish I was. Let's see if I can be right about something.

All plastic WASTE lines regardless of what it is named or what color it is can be put together with the primer and glue you mention, cut it any way you like.

If it were your SUPPLY lines we were talking about then it would matter exactly what type of plastic pipe we are talking about and my post would perhaps have made more sense.

There are two type of SUPPLY piping that are commonly called "black pipe". One is steel pipe which isn't used so much anymore for water supply but often still is used for gas supply lines. It is threaded together with pipe tape or pipe dope.

The other is polyethelye pipe which is the cheapest stuff and is put together with clamps or bands. Poly pipe is highly durable however and is used in underground applications. It is also used anywhere cost is the primary concern. I know that doesn't help but hopefully it is factual.

Reply to
Lawrence

Al

It was NOT the fumes! I'm high on PLUMBING!!! ;-)

Actually, when it comes to plumbing, I'd rather do electrical.

Dan

Reply to
Dan