Question about Circuit Breaker

Page 1 of 2
I have a circuit breaker that won't switch back on for my microwave. It has gone off a couple of times in the past few years, but now it won't switch on. Do these switches go bad singly, since the rest of them are fine, or is there some trick besides an electrician to switch it back on. TIA
-- Cheri
"Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote in message

sometimes you have to switch them all the way to off before they'll go back to the on position.
they can go bad. it's pretty easy to change them out if you first power off the breaker box with the service disconnect breaker.
charlie wrote in message ...

switch
go back

power off

Thank you, that's what I needed to know. I did try to switch all the way back several times, and no luck. Since I know nothing about electricity, I didn't know if one could go bad without the rest going bad.
Cheri

Yes, one breaker can go bad. Call an electrician, or a trusted handyman. It's dangerous to open electric panel, but it can be done.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Not an electrician, but I believed when told to keep one hand in a pocket.
Oren wrote in message ...

handyman.
I will call Steve from ASAP electric after reading the responses. I was shocked terribly once where it took almost a year to be able to use my left hand completely, once is enough. :-)
Cheri

[...]
You misspelled "always".

It's actually a lot easier to change them if you leave the main breaker on, so you're not trying to change breakers in the dark. And as long as you pay attention to where you put your fingers, it really isn't significantly less safe.
On May 23, 10:46�pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:
tus.com> wrote:

!!!!!!!NOT FOR A NOVICE!!!!!!
A helper with a flashlight, working during daylight, a drop light with a 12 volt bulb powered from your cars battery, or even a inverter and regular light all poered from your car, are way better alternatives, than replacing as breaker with the main breaker on
In article <5cca38ba-bd85-4ea4-abb2-

I see you missed the part where I wrote "pay attention to where you put your fingers."
If you don't touch the busses or the main lugs, it's damn near impossible to get shocked while changinge a breaker. And there's no reason to have your fingers near enough to them that there's any danger of touching them.
Doug Miller wrote:

You are leaving out the possibility of faulting out a buss bar by applying too much pressure to the breaker during insertion in some panels and numerous other small mistakes that could get them badly burned or killed. Leaving the main breaker on or even re closing it prior to reinstalling the dead front or cover on the panel cabinet is not advice one should in good conscience offer to a novice.
--
Tom Horne

"Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote in message

Circuit breakers can go bad and it has been my observation that those with large continuous loads seem to fail more than those with less of a load. Before you change the circuit breaker, unplug your microwave oven and then try and reset the breaker. If it resets with the microwave unplugged, you may have a problem with the appliance.
Thanks to all, I appreciate it.
Cheri

switch
with
load.
then
unplugged, you

On May 23, 9:31pm, "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote:

Cheri: (My dear!). I Based on your wording of the original question: DO try unplugging 'everything' on that circuit including the microwave oven and try to reset the breaker again. There is a remote (but unlikely) possibility of too many things are plugged in on that circuit and the circuit breaker just got tired and gave up. DO NOT (again based on the original question), try to fix it yourself; with the main circuit breaker either on or off. etc. Have flashlight available while someone fixes it in case they have to turn off the whole house/apartment etc. Have someone competent and trustworthy check the circuit breaker, who will have the tools, and will know how to get the right breaker size (ampere rating must suit the size of wiring etc.) and right type of breaker. BTW here single pole breakers cost anywhere from $12 to $25 each. Someone who can properly disconnect the wire to change the breaker. Then reconnect and test the circuit. Just to make sure there isn't something else wrong on that circuit (such as a broken outlet, short circuited wiring inside the wall etc. etc.)
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

Read a story about a single woman living in a New York apartment who had a single male friend in the same building. When she had a repair job, she'd trade him a home-made meal for the fix. Their thought processes ran as follows:
She: "He can put up a towel rack so it STAYS put-up and all I have to do is throw a couple of extra potatos in the pot. It's a miracle."
He: "For a couple of the right kind of thirty-cent toggle bolts, I get a wonderful rack of lamb dinner! It's a miracle."
Then they had sex.

LOL...................."Thats what I'm talk'en about" Tony
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote in message ...

lots
OK, thanks. I did just buy a new microwave and it does have more power than the old one, so that was probably the problem? I don't know if the circuit is already a dedicated line, but that particular switch in the circuit box, only controls the power to the microwave and nothing else, so that would already be a dedicated line, or not? I told you I'm ignorant about electricity, and I'm sure you have no trouble believing that. :-)
Cheri
On May 24, 11:58�am, "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote:

try new microwave on different breaker.........
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Hi, M/W won't trip ordinary 15A breaker. I'd think breaker is the last thing to suspect under normal circumstances. The new M/W may be bad out of box. BTW, what brand is it? How big in Wattage? 1100? 1300?
Tony Hwang wrote in message ...

thing
Sharp Carousel 1200 watts. I have it plugged into a different plug, and it's working fine.
Cheri
Cheri wrote:

Hmm, Then indeed the breaker may be going bad or loose connection in that circuit(inside outlet or on the breaker itself. Ours is Panasonic 1300W and it never did amything to the breaker.