Question about carpet installation

I'm installing some carpet this weekend and came across some "seam sealer" at the store:

The type of carpet I have does not have a padded backing. It's typical residential carpet and I'm simply laying down a carpet pad and then installing the carpet on top, using seam tape and an iron to make up my seams.

So my question is... do I need to apply this "seam sealer" as well when I make up my seams? Thanks...

Reply to
ajcrm125

store:

My pro installer does, to keep the carpet from "unravelling" at the seams.

I'm not trying to "take a shot" at you, but I am concerned that, based on your question, you probably don't have the skill and experience to do a good install. Do you have a stretcher? Have you done this before?

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

Buy and use the best grade carpet pad you can find. It'll make any carpet last longer. Go cheap on the pad and you'll know.

Use the seam sealer or whatever it takes to keep seams together and flat. Give a seam a chance to open and tear, and it will.

Reply to
franz frippl

store:

Cool.. thakns for the info. Never done carpet but have been in the trades all my life and still do side jobs for extra $$ here and there. Carpet is probably the only thing I haven't done so i'll be nice to earn that last check mark. I'll be renting all the equipment as I don't own my own, I'm pretty confident it''l turn out real nice. I'm en engineer by trade so I can't even take a crap these days without an overblown plan. :-)

Reply to
ajcrm125