Question About "Cal Rod" Origin

Were does this come from...I always thought "NiChrome" was more accurate? (And yes, I did try to Google it!) Thanks

Reply to
Bob Villa

CALorie, meaning heat?

Reply to
Bob Villa

Inside a Calrod tube are ni-chrome wires surrounded by a filler material. . Calrod is a trademark for a type of heating element made by General Electric. My guess is the name comes from the function. Calorie = heat measure Rod = tubular form, thus Calrod = commercially made tubular heating element. They are far more rugged than stretching a ni-chrome wire in the oven.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

So, my guess would be: a ni-chrome wire, surrounded by ceramic (of some sort), surrounded by a steel tube. So Calrod is like "Scotch Tape" or "Frigidaire" (if you're old enough).

Reply to
Bob Villa

Google tells me "Magnesium Oxide" is the insulation inside the tube.

Reply to
Bob Villa

"Asperin", "Xerox",... Yes.

Reply to
krw

Cal rods are indeed VERY durable. I fix machines that use them heated to 300 degrees every day for 20 years and up. The american made ones never fail, chinese??? well not so great.

The only reason I replace them is customers breaking or more notably cutting:( the wires off the end...

CAL RODS are basic life of product devices.

Reply to
hallerb