Question about building code and walls in basement...

I have 9 foot walls in my basement. I intend to put a drop ceiling in at 7.5-8 feet.

If drywall is stacked vertically at 8feet tall, there will be a gap above the ceiling between rooms.

Putting sound-proofing etc aside, does anyone know if code allows this gap, or do all rooms have to be sealed from one another above the ceiling? I already have a lot of mechanicals (ducts, gas lines etc) running thru this space so some areas cannot be sealed with drywall.

I am checking with local code, but wanted to get a general idea first...

Reply to
BIOSMonkey

What code? If you mean local codes, I think you need to tell us where the house is.

Reply to
mad hatterĀ®

One problem that I imagine you'll have is with electrical items. It sounds like you plan to put a ceiling in the basement. I believe that no junction boxes are allowed in the area above a dropped ceiling. Except for runs of wire, any box or splice, etc. must not be covered. As mad hatter wrote, you need to check your local county or city codes for correct info.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

Junction boxes can't be placed where they can't be accessed, ie sealed inside a smooth ceiling or inside a dropped ceiling that is sheetrocked. I will be using acoustic tiles.

Reply to
BIOSMonkey

OK, Gwinnett County, GA.

Reply to
BIOSMonkey

Why? Nine foot ceilings do wonders in removing the "basement feel".

Yes.

No.

Checking with your local codes will confirm this.

Ken

Reply to
bambam