Question about Arc Fault Circuit Interrupters (AFCI breakers)

I live in an old house, and the upstairs has ungrounded Romex wiring. I've installed ground wires here and there around the house so I can put in grounded outlets, but Wife wants a grounded outlet in a far bedroom where I really can't get to it without tearing a hole in a basement finished ceiling; probably 2 or 3 holes by the time I get it where I can fish the wires.

So I can either install a GFCI outlet and put a "No Equipment Ground" sticker on it (if the device will fit in the old box) or I can install a GFCI breaker on that circuit and put both "GFCI Protected" and "No Equipment Ground" stickers on that outlet and any others on the circuit.

I know that AFCI breakers also provide ground fault protection, but the trip level is at a much higher threshold. (50 mA?) Can I put a grounded receptacle on an ungrounded circuit protected by an arc fault breaker and use the little warning stickers, or does it need to be a GFCI? The actual ground fault risk here is almost zero; there's nothing grounded in the room at all and it has hardwood floors. The higher trip current would reduce the occurrence of false trips, plus having arc fault protection might actually be useful...

I gonna try the GFCI device first because that's the cheapest route, but the box is probably too shallow and crowded for that to fit.

Maybe I can get by with just 2 tiny easy-to-patch holes in the ceiling...

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

I wouldn't attempt to install Arc fault protection on antiquated wiring systems. I think you'd have all manner of nuisance tripping from mixed grounds , neutrals, and multiwire configurations

Reply to
RBM

I would never install an AFCI breaker unless I had to in order to meet an inspection. They are a nuisance and totally unneeded. Be sure to read RBM's post.

Reply to
Colbyt

What is the grounded receptacle for?

This is really the best solution.

Correct. As such it does not provide personnel protection.

No.

Yes.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

So she can plug in a lamp with a grounded cord, or her laptop computer power supply with a grounded cord. (stuff that really doesn't need a ground) And occasionally a vacuum cleaner -- there's a grounded outlet in the next room that I put in with great difficulty, but she put a bookcase in front of it. :rolleyes:

I'll drill a little hole this weekend with one of those 60" long drill bits and see where it pokes thru in the basement, so I can see what I have to work with. Meanwhile I bought one of those little 49¢ 2-to-3 adapters to buy me some time.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Is the grounded outlet in the next room on a common wall with the room you want to put the new one in? Youd could run a box back to back. Or you could go up over the ceiling??

Reply to
hrhofmann

That's a good idea. I thought for a minute that it was on the same wall (but not the same stud) but it's not; there's a closet there. But maybe I can drill back into the closet from both boxes and daisychain the ground wires. I've been giving each outlet a home run grounding wire up to now.

Going up won't help.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

I installed three AFCI breakers (QO) here back in 2006 when I replaced my house panel and completely rewired my shop. I haven't had a single issue with them.

Reply to
Pete C.