question about adding plastic cement to mortar mix?

I was told by some one that I should add some pure plastic cement to my mortar to install some cultured stone on a wall, said it would help stick better. What would be a good amount to add to the mortar mix. percentage wise?

Reply to
bdeditch

What is "pure plastic cement"? Solvent based, chemical based items should not be mixed with mortar. Possibly you are confused about the additive that is recommended. It is common to add "acrylic latex admixture" a milky white liquid to replace all or part of the water. It is used for stucco, tile setting, repairs, to bond concrete to old concrete and most likely to install cultured stone. It makes the mortar sticky, hold better, set even when it appears dry and increases water resistance of the finished product.

You get it at stores that sell tile and/or masonry supplies.

Reply to
EXT

It is easier to just buy "bonding" mortar that already has the latex in it. If you really want the stuff to stick spend about twice as much and buy "flex" but that is usually overkill. I put some pavers on a wall with flex, because that is what I had, and when I tried to chip one out I ended up having to break it out in little pieces and cut the mortar out with an air chisel.

Reply to
gfretwell

Never heard of it.

Reply to
m Ransley

Bonding mortar and flex? Look in the tile department

Reply to
gfretwell

Plastic cement is a portland based cement used primarily for stucco applications it for the most part is treated exactly like regular portland cement as far as mixing and applications. adding a hand full to a bagged mix of mortar wil increase the stickeyness while adding a bit of strength. You could also use lime to increase the stick but I use the cement because in my experiance it really increases the surface bond strength where as the lime just adds a bit of stick. Depending on the stone the bagged mix even a "spec mix" is still a little light on the cement to make a good quick bond.

bdeditch wrote:

Reply to
Italian Mason