Question about 30a outlets

I have to put in two 240v 30a outlets, and plugs.
Is there a difference between 10-30 and 6-30? My limited understanding is that 10-30 has a neutral and 6-30 has a ground, and since my application has a ground, 6-30 should be correct, but does it really matter since I am doing it all from scratch? HD has the 10-30 cheaper, and they don't even have 6-30 plugs. (my dryer circuit has an "uninsulated neutral", which I would have called a ground...)
Toller wrote:

If these are dedicated outlets, I think you can use whatever you want. Go crazy and use a 30A twistlock. If they are branch circuit outlets that anything might get plugged into (unusual > 20A), use the right NEMA pattern -- you can buy the right ones at a better hardware store, or an electrical supply house, or maybe at Fleet farm near the welders.
Best regards, Bob

If you have the equipment that will be plugged into the receptacles, then just match the plug. If you will be making up your own I suggest a four wire outlet (14-30R or the L14-30R twistlock) as that will provide you with a neutral and a grounding conductor giving you versatility for the future. Of course you will need four wires for this (2 hots, 1 neutral, and one ground).
The 10-30 is an outdated receptacle for retrofits. All new receptacles require a ground.

If you only have 3 wires to a dryer plug it is a neutral, using the WWII era exception. In 1996 the NFPA dercided "the war was over" (Phil Simmonds exact language in the ROP) and you need 4 wires from then on. Old installations are grandfathered but be sure your dryer is set up 3 wire (frame and neutral bonded)

and no ground

and no neutral

Not "should be correct" -- *is* correct.
But why are you even asking? Your posting history shows that you're going to do what you damn please anyway, even though you know it's wrong.
--
Regards,